Idaho History January 21, 2018

Landmark

Upper Johnson Creek, south of Yellow Pine, Valley County, Idaho

Landmark Rock

Location: 23.3 miles from Cascade, Idaho
Elevation 8433 ft.
GPS Coordinate: 44.6263 -115.594

LandmarkRock1Huston

LandmarkRock2Huston

source: Pictures of Cascade by Mike Huston 2004
— — — — — — — — — —

Landmark Historic Ranger Station

landmark-a

Landmark Ranger Station was established in 1924 and for years functioned as the forest supervisor’s summer office for the “old” Payette National Forest (combined with the Boise National Forest in 1944). The site consists of a ranger’s house, four cabins, a barn, saddle shed and blacksmith shop, three garages, an office, warehouse and numerous other outbuildings that were constructed between 1924 and 1942. The ranger station has been closed for over a decade.

source: Idaho Heritage
— — — — — — — — — —

Landmark Ranger Station

Landmark-Ranger-Station-a

Building Location: Landmark, Idaho 83611, Valley County
Year Built: 1930

Constructed between 1924 and 1942, the Landmark Ranger Station was an integral hub in the year round activities of the Payette then Boise National Forests. Located in Valley County east of Warm Lake and south of Yellow Pine, the site is ideally situated to manage the vast region it historically oversaw. Closed and all but abandoned in the late 1990s, the site faced the possibility of being decommissioned.

That is until the arrival of Cascade District Ranger, Carol McCoy-Brown in 2005. She immediately sensed the importance and historical significance of the site and set about the process of bringing it up to date for continued use while maintaining its historical and architectural integrity. A series of grants from the Southwest Idaho Resource Advisory Committee, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and the Idaho Heritage Trust as well as continued and increasing Forest Service appropriations allowed the cleaning, staffing, and renovation of the complex.

New bathroom additions have been added to two cabins to allow their continued use and restoration, while the deteriorating logs of the barn have been replaced. Soon, the front porches, cedar shingle roofs, and distinctive pole fencing of the site will be restored. With 1.2 million dollars in deferred maintenance costs, the job isn’t over, but Carol’s tenacity and the continued support of the Forest Service will see this site restored to its proper role in the life of the forest.

Preservation Idaho is thrilled to award Ranger Carol McCoy-Brown and the Landmark Ranger Station project a 2010 Orchid Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation.

Building submitted by Preservation Idaho

source w/photo gallery: The Idaho Architecture Project
— — — — — — — — — —

Landmark Ranger Station, Ranger House,

LandmarkRS-a

Boise National Forest Building No. 1139
Valley County, ID
source: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division
(click link to access photo gallery)
— — — — — — — — — —

Landmark – Boise NF

… In 1964, two new positions, unique to the region in one case and to the Forest Service as a whole in the other, were added to the supervisor’s office: a forest-level position of contracting specialist, the first such specialist in the Forest Service, and personnel specialist, the first on any national forest in Region 4. Four years later, as the result of a study which concluded that in terms of workload, budget, and staff, larger ranger districts were in most cases able to operate more effectively than smaller ones, the Chief of the Forest Service established a new district size policy. At the time there were ten ranger districts on the Boise National Forest — Mountain Home, Cottonwood, Idaho City, Atlanta, Lowman, Emmett, Garden Valley, Bear Valley, Cascade, and Landmark. These were consolidated in 1972 to the present six districts: Mountain Home, Boise, Idaho City, Lowman, Cascade, and Emmett.

… Also in 1972, all of the Primitive Area land from Pistol Creek Ridge to the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, as well as the land east of Morehead Mountain, was transferred to the Challis National Forest for administrative purposes. The land northeast of Antimony Ridge (including Stibnite) was transferred to the Payette National Forest. The balance of the Landmark Ranger District became part of the Cascade Ranger District, and Landmark Ranger Station became Landmark Work Camp.

… CCC camps in the Boise and former Payette national forests were located at Cottonwood Creek, Alexander Flat, Big Birch Creek (Twin Springs), Granite Creek (Idaho City), Gallagher, Tie Creek, Third Fork, Crawford, and Warm Lake. There were other camps which may have been base camps or subcamps, often called spike camps: Landmark, Pike Fork (Crooked River), Silver Creek, Mountain View (near Lowman), Deer Creek, Cow Creek or Danskin, Twin Bridges (Johnson Creek), and Stolle Meadows. In addition, there were state CCC base camps or spike camps — on state land and with their own personnel, but within the forest boundaries — at Centerville, Shafer Butte, Clear Creek (near Cascade), and Packer John (near Smith’s Ferry).

… Much was accomplished on the Boise and former Payette national forests with CCC labor. The CCC work in cone collection, seed gathering, and tree planting is mentioned elsewhere, as is the enrollees’ roadbuilding, construction of forest buildings, fire-fighting activities, and construction of recreation facilities. An inspection of the Landmark District in 1968 revealed that all campgrounds except Ice Hole still had some of the log tables built by the CCC in the 1930’s.

CCC projects on the Cascade Ranger District included:
— the building complex at Landmark, parts of which are still in use…

excerpted from: History of the Boise National Forest 1905-1976 By Elizabeth M. Smith
— — — — — — — — — —

More photos of the Landmark Ranger Station

Location: 26.4 miles from Cascade, Idaho
Elevation 6634 ft.
GPS Coordinate: 44.6572 -115.545

by Mike Huston – Pictures of Cascade
http://picturesofcascade.com/viewlandmarks.php?idnum=43
— — — — — — — — — —

Landmark Topo

LandmarkTopo-a

source: Topo Zone (map is zoomable)
— — — — — — — — — —

Landmark, Valley County, Idaho

County Map Quad: “C”
County Name: Valley
Township: 15N
Range: 8E
Section: 12
Elevation: 6,617
Population (1960 Census): 6
Mailing Post Office: Warm Lake
Airport: Landing Field 2 miles S.
Streams: Landmark Cr. / Johnson Cr.

source: Gazetteer of Cities Villages and Landmark Sites in the State of Idaho, Third Edition January 1966, Prepared By Idaho Department of Highways, Highway Planning Survey, in cooperation with US Beureau of Public Roads
source link: Heather Heber Callahan – North Idaho History
(many pages of scanned images)
— — — — — — — — — —

Landmark is in the Stibnite Division

ID Demographic Data and Boundary Map

The Stibnite Division is a County Subdivision of Valley County. The subdivision has a Z5 Census Class Code which indicates that the Stibnite Division is a statistical county subdivision.

source w/map:
— — — — — — — — — —

Landmark USFS Airport – 0U0

Activation April 1944
Landmark, Idaho
Facility Usage: Public

Coordinates: N44°38.53′ / W115°32.00′
Located 01 miles SE of Landmark, Idaho on 19 acres of land.
Estimated Elevation is 6662 feet MSL.
Magnetic Variation from 1985 is 17° East
Dimensions: 4000 x 100 feet / 1219 x 30 meters
Surface: Turf-Dirt in Fair Condition

more info: Sky Vector
— — — — — — — — — —

Landmark Google Map

link: Google Map
— — — — — — — — — —

Landmark landing

——————————

page updated Feb 27, 2019