Idaho History Feb 21, 2021

Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic

Part 45

Idaho Newspaper clippings March 28-30, 1919

Photos courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

March 28

Evening Capital News., March 28, 1919, Page 2


Think Twin Falls Man Has Sleeping Sickness

Twin Falls, March 28. — In the Boyd hospital here there is a man who has been asleep for 16 days. Since Tuesday it has been possible to rouse him at meal times, nourishment prior to that time having been administered through a tube, and he is apparently on the road to recovery. After careful tests and elimination of all other possibilities, attending physicians have diagnosed the case as one of lethargic encephalitis or sleeping sickness. This is the first case of the kind so far reported in the intermountain region.
— —

Mrs. Phoebe Hearst Improved

Pleasanton, Cal., March 28. — The condition of Mrs. Phoebe Hearst, mother of William R. Hearst, newspaper publisher, is improved today. Mrs. Hearst is suffering from the after effects of influenza.

source: Evening Capital News. (Boise, Idaho), 28 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Evening Capital News., March 28, 1919, Page 9

Around Boise Valley Loop


Duff McKee was called to Parma this morning by the illness of his child.


Verlin and Jessie Bass are confined to their home with the flu.

Mrs. Peterson and son left today for Butte, Mont. in answer to a telegram announcing the serious illness of the former’s daughter.
— —

Idaho Falls

Idaho Falls, March 28 — Doctors J. O. Mellor and D. L. McDonald have taken over the hospital property on E. street formerly known as the Emergency hospital and have renamed the institution the Peoples’ Hospital. The building has been thoroughly remodeled and re-equipped and has beds for 20 patients.

Another hospital is in prospect as the L. D. S. church has a committee looking for a suitable location for the establishment of a big hospital and sanitarium under the supervision of that organization.

(ibid, page 9)
— — — —

Evening Capital News., March 28, 1919, Page 12

19190328ECN3Influenza Case

One influenza patient was brought to Boise from Orchard Thursday evening in the O. S. L. hospital car, and taken to a city hospital. The patient had not developed the disease in its full strength, but it was thought best to take every precaution and secure proper care at once.

(ibid, page 12)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Caldwell Tribune. March 28, 1919, Page 1


Local and Personal

Delva Modest Northrup, one year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. B. Northrup, died Monday, March 24th. The funeral was held Wednesday. interment was at Canyon Hill cemetery.
— —

Lake Lowell

Rev. C. E. Wharton preached at the M. E. church Sunday morning, after an illness of seven weeks.

Florence Gibbens is slowly recovering from her recent illness.

Miss Louise Wright was out of school the forepart of the week on account of pink eye.
— —

Funeral of Frank Gillian

Funeral services were held from the Methodist church Wednesday afternoon for Frank Gillian. The Rev. Mr. Winters had charge of the services. Interment was at Canyon Hill cemetery.

Mr. Gillian died Monday at Hot Lake, Oregon, where he was taken for medical treatment. Death resulted from complications following influenza. He is survived by his wife, parents and three brothers.

Mr. and Mrs. Gillian came to Caldwell a little over a year ago. They were from Wyoming. Mr. Gillian was extensively interested in land at Claytonia and also in and around Caldwell.
— —

Judge Isaac F. Smith who has been seriously sick at his home at Weiser for some time was taken to a Boise hospital Monday morning. He stood the trip well but it is feared that Judge Smith will never recover from his present malady.

source: The Caldwell Tribune. (Caldwell, Idaho), 28 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Caldwell Tribune. March 28, 1919, Page 5

Items of Interest From Surrounding Territory

Marble Front

We are glad to report that Mrs. Walter Thomas is improving and able to sit up a little.

Mrs. Fred Kress is on the sick list this week.

Word has been received from Lee Thomas at Hot Lake that he is not improving as they had hoped he would.

Deer Flat

There are a few cases of flu in the neighborhood.

Mrs. Carl Skow is having the mumps and Miss Neva Faris has just recovered from the same happy experience.

Midway News

Thomas Waters is on the sick list.

Fargo News Item

Mr. and Mrs. Elmore Look, who have had the flu, are able to be out again.

There has been several cases of mumps in the Fargo school.

Mrs. John Miller was on the sick list last week.


Esther Jacobson, formerly of Rosewell, who has been very ill for many weeks in Boise, is now improving.

Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Rockwood and little Henry Stark were in Boise Sunday to visit Eunice Rockwood who is at St. Luke’s hospital.
— —


(ibid, page 5)
— — — —

The Caldwell Tribune. March 28, 1919, Page 7

Brier Rose

The Bequeath and McKnight families have the influenza in their homes.

Lt. Merle Howard spent the week end and part of this week helping his brother in Big Bend who is ill with influenza.

John Dennerline is seriously ill with pneumonia.

Mrs. H. E. Smith is on the sick list this week.

John Postuethwaite, Clisby Edelfsen and Paul Christopher have been having the mumps lately. John is back in school.
— —

Finney Hall

Gail Baldridge has been at home all the week with the mumps.

Elizabeth Hine has the mumps. Mr. and Mrs. Hine called at the hall Tuesday to consider taking her home, but decided to leave her in Mrs. Murphy’s care.

Edith McLaughlin went home Wednesday with mumps.

(ibid, page 7)
— — — — — — — — — — —

Dover, Idaho ca. 1920


Photo courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — — —

The Oakley Herald. March 28, 1919, Page 1


Basin Items

Miss Edna Wells has been quite ill but is improving.

Miss Myrtle Martin has been confined to her bed for four days.

The farmers have begun to plow.

source: The Oakley Herald. (Oakley, Idaho), 28 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Oakley Herald. March 28, 1919, Page 6

Locals and Personals

The family of Henry Tanner, two miles north of Oakley, are recovering from the flu.

Frank McLaws, who lives north of Oakley has had the flu recently.

Mrs. Ed. Young, who lives three miles north of Oakley, is recovering from an attack of influenza.

The many friends of “Uncle” Phill Shaw were glad to see him out on the street again this week.
— —


Mrs. Nelson has received word that her daughter, Mrs. Esther Olson, and the latter’s little daughter are very sick with the flu at Phoenix, Arizona.

H. P. Nelson has been very sick the last week, but is feeling better again.

The snow is almost gone. Everybody is rejoicing to see bare ground once more.

(ibid, page 6)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Idaho Republican. March 28, 1919, Page 2



There are several cases of influenza in our community at the present time.
— —


Andrew Anderson has been on the sick list this week.

Heber Killian was seriously ill Sunday evening, but has since recovered much strength.
— —


The two small sons of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Grovatt are very ill.

source: The Idaho Republican. (Blackfoot, Idaho), 28 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Idaho Republican. March 28, 1919, Page 3

Local News

Probate Judge Good and Truant Officer Mrs. Grace Stevens made a county tour last week rounding up the kids on probation and setting them on the straight and narrow way.
— —


The little daughter of Lee Moyer is very ill with tonsillitis and has been out of school for several days.

(ibid, page 3)
— — — —

The Idaho Republican. March 28, 1919, Page 4

19190328TIR2Returns From Salt Lake Takes Down With The Flu

Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Rich returned from Salt Lake City, Saturday, with their two children. Mrs. Rich has been there with the kiddies for several weeks having them doctored by a specialist. On the day after her return, Mrs. Rich was taken ill with the flu, and is laid up with it.

(ibid, page 4)
— — — — — — — — — —

Shoshone Journal. March 28, 1919, Page 1


Extending The School Term

The Trustees of some of the school districts are contemplating extending the school term two or three weeks longer, in order to give the pupils more time in which to complete the year’s work.
— —


Stanley Devon Grewell, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Grewell, died at the family home March 24, of pneumonia. The baby was two months old March 20th. Burial took place at Richfield cemetery.
— —

[Local News]

Miss Alice Borden had an operation performed on her throat last Saturday at the Dill hospital. She is now well on the way to recovery, but is short one pair of tonsils.
— —


Mrs. L. P. Mustard has been seriously ill the past week, but is now recovering.

Ira Towne, who has been suffering with a hard spell of sickness is now recovering, and hopes to be his former self again.

Mr. and Mrs. L. J Meservey are at Preston, Utah, attending the funeral of Mrs. Meservey’s sister and her daughter.

At the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Pavlick a babe was born to their daughter, Mrs. Julia Campbell last Friday, living only three days.

source: Shoshone Journal. (Shoshone, Idaho), 28 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Shoshone Journal. March 28, 1919, Page 5

Local and Personal News

Fred W. Gooding and wife, and their daughter, Mrs. D. Sidney Smith, will leave Long Beach, California, for Shoshone next Tuesday. Their homeward trip has been delayed on account of an attack of pneumonia on Mr. Gooding.

“Doc” Smith of Twin Falls died at his home there last Sunday after a long illness. He was one of the old timers in this section and was noted for many eccentricities of manner but was universally respected for his sterling qualities.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Idaho Recorder. March 28, 1919, Page 1


… Lew Wells Dies

… Gardner Wells, wife of … of Pahsimaroi, died in … Friday morning, March … pneumonia. On the previous … she gave birth to a child … at birth, and on Thursday … symptoms of pneumonia.
[Possibly buried in May Cemetery]
— —

Old Resident is Ill

Charles H. Reynolds is under hospital treatment in Salmon, being well taken care of by old friends, Billy Carpenter and R. W. McDonald. Mr. Reynolds is an old and highly esteemed resident of the county.
— —

This Priest’s Circuit Covers Five Hundred Miles

Rev. E. O. D. Hynes, pastor of the Catholic church of Salmon and having under his spiritual care small flocks of the faithful scattered widely over the two counties of Lemhi and Custer, perhaps has the most extensive circuit of missions found anywhere in the Northwest if not the most extensive in all the United States of America. To make the complete around of his pastorate he is required to travel over mountain roads and trails for most of the way perhaps 500 miles. His field covers all of Lemhi county and all of Custer but Mackay, which is served by the priest at Blackfoot. For the winter time of the year it would be out of the question for Father Hynes to make his rounds of pastoral calls complete over any but the well traveled roads and highways. During the past winter the quarantine against the epidemic somewhat restricted his visits even in the localities where deep snow did not bar his way.

It is for this reason that the busy season of this priest opens with the spring and summer months. As soon as his present Lenten services are over in the city he will be able to set forth on his regular far-flung lines of ministrations in the interior. He is now holding services twice a week in Salmon besides the regular Sunday masses as they are appointed here and elsewhere.

Father Hynes goes about his duties without ostentation and ministers to all wherever he finds ministrations needed, without regard to limitations or restrictions of creed. It was not long ago in the midst of the flu epidemic in Salmon that he hurried over one day to help the family of the minister of another communion when they were all stricken, offering to fetch in their wood and coal.

Father Hynes thinks the Salmon country is about the best he ever knew and has been zealous in his work always to say a good word for the community on every occasion that offers.
— —

When the Bottom Drops Out

Travelers report numbers of bad places in the road between Baker and Salmon and other spots in the lower Salmon road that are formidable holes. A car from the Bradley garage on the way to Gibbonsville on Monday mired itself and encountered others worse off and helpless. One traveler on this road said he saw a car sunk into the depths of a hole above the engine hood. There was a team kept all day Monday on the job at one place on the Baker road pulling out submerged cars. The commissioners are doing everything possible to relieve the situation temporarily until permanent repairs can be made.

source: The Idaho Recorder. (Salmon City, Idaho), 28 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Idaho Recorder. March 28, 1919, Page 3

Idaho State News

Tuberculosis will be scientifically tested in Idaho in the future through the medium of the two new tuberculosis hospitals, as Governor Davis has signed house bill No. 117, passed by the legislature, authorizing a tax levy to provide funds for their erection.

Idaho miners will not profit materially from a measure passed at the recent session of congress for the purpose of granting relief to those who made heavy expenditures with the view of producing rare metals urgently demanded for war use but virtually unmarketable in times of peace.

(ibid, page 3)
— — — —

The Idaho Recorder. March 28, 1919, Page 5

Salmon Locals

Mrs. P. J. Dempsey was down town on Wednesday for a car ride, the first visit she has made since her recent illness. Mrs. Dempsey is now well on toward the complete restoration to health after being kept at home since early in the winter.

U. S., Marshall Ish was in Salmon this week summing [sic] witnesses for a trial in United States district court now in session in Boise growing out of the quarantine in Custer county last winter. It was said that altogether about 20 witnesses were called. The trial is said to have arisen over the forcible ejection of a soldier sent into Custer county for draft work.

E. J. Bauman, another six-foot soldier boy, is back home at Patterson, having come in from Camp Fremont on Wednesday by way of Salmon. He enlisted from Challis and left that place August 8 last. He was in the camp hospital four weeks with a session with the flu, where there were 500 fatal attacks of the scourge. He was mustered out at Camp Lewis, coming directly home as soon as released. His father, J. J. Bauman lives in the Pahsimaroi valley. Young Bauman is now in splendid health and like all other soldiers returning from training, whether in camp or in field, is good to see.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — — — — — — — —

Main Street, Declo, Idaho


Photo courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

Clearwater Republican. March 28, 1919, Page 1


Local News

Mrs. Celia Brown’s youngest son, who has been afflicted with the influenza, died Monday, and interment took place Tuesday. We are informed another one of her boys is sick. We extend our sympathy to the suffering family.

Ed Donath, our accommodating harness maker, departed for Spokane, Wednesday morning, to visit his wife, who is still under the doctors care.

Miss Vallie Noble went to Clarkston Saturday morning to visit with her parents and see her sister, Mrs. J. E. DeBaun, who we are informed, is gradually recovering.

Dr. Fairly had the misfortune to lose his faithful old horse Packline, this week. The doctor will have a hard time to find another such animal as the reliable Packline.

Jas. Tyra, of the Canyon Creek country, was in Orofino Monday, and reports snow fast disappearing in that section.

source: Clearwater Republican. (Orofino, Idaho), 28 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Clearwater Republican. March 28, 1919, Page 2

19190328CR2Saved by “Influenza Signals”

Helena, Mont. — The “influenza signal” in uninhabited spots is two rifle shots in quick succession, followed by a third at an interval. The signal saved W. L. Caldwell, a rancher of the Craig district, it was learned Monday. He was in the last stages of the disease when his shots brought neighbors. It is said he will recover.

(ibid, page 2)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Rathdrum Tribune., March 28, 1919, Page 3


Personal Mention

Dr. D. F. Hollister is out again, recovering from his illness.

John Stine and family of Ford, Wash., write that they have all been ill with the influenza but have recovered.

Mrs. Alta McIntosh is in Spokane taking treatments for complications following influenza from which she suffered during the early part of the winter.
— —

Local Paragraphs

Summer school is to be held in the Chilco and Ramsey-Garwood districts, to start April [?] and continue if possible until September. The schools have been closed the past winter on account of the epidemic conditions.

The aurora borealis were visible here several nights last week, marking the high point in the equinoxial period.

source: The Rathdrum Tribune. (Rathdrum, Idaho), 28 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

Cottonwood Chronicle. March 28, 1919, Page 1


Mrs. J. V. Baker and daughter Vivian are both confined to their home this week with severe cases of influenza. While the flue [sic] has taken a firm grip on these two patients nothing dangerous seems to be evident at this time and they are now slowly recovering from the same which will be welcome news to their many friends.
— —

News Around The State …

There seems to be a mild return of influenza epidemic in Lewiston, although no serious cases are reported. Quarantine regulations are being observed in these cases, but there is no official limitation on public activities.
— —

Set Shooting Case for Hearing

The date of the preliminary hearing in the case arising from the shooting of Miss Vesta Neapan by Mrs. Newton Otto at Whitebird last Saturday has been set for April 13, to be held before Probate Judge Wilbur L. Campbell. Owing to the prominence of both families the case is attracting wide attention throughout the country and especially in the Salmon river country where the parties connected with the trouble have resided for some time.

The bullet wound in Miss Neapan’s ankle is healing nicely according to reports.

Mrs. Otto, it is said, claims that she brandished the gun in an effort to compel Miss Neapan and Reggie Neapan to leave the Otto premises and that it was discharged accidentally.

source: Cottonwood Chronicle. (Cottonwood, Idaho), 28 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Cottonwood Chronicle. March 28, 1919, Page 5

Local News

Miss Minnie Lange is confined to her home this week with an attack of what seems to be influenza. She was taken down with the malady Wednesday.

Mrs. J. D. Shinnick, son Tom, and daughter Rose Mary are expected to arrive home next week. While in Lewiston, after Tom was able to leave the hospital, his sister was attacked with influenza which caused another delay.

Wilbur Box returned Thursday evening from Lewiston where he has been receiving medical treatment.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — —

Cottonwood Chronicle. March 28, 1919, Page 6

Cottonwood and Vicinity
Personal Mention and Local Happenings of the Week

P. A. Gaul was able to come up town last Monday afternoon for the first time since recovering from a severe attack of influenza followed by pneumonia and which has kept him confined to his home for the past six weeks.

Mrs. Peter Johann was an arrival Monday evening from her home at Culdesac and will spend several days at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Johann. Members of the Johann family have all been confined to bed with light attacks of sickness, excepting John, who has been acting as nurse, cook and etc. His mother comes up to relieve him from these duties.

Mrs. Felix Martzen accompanied by her husband and Dr. Shinnick was taken to Lewiston Thursday morning for the benefit of her health. Mrs. Martzen has just recently recovered from an attack of influenza which left her heart in a very weak condition. Her many friends hope that the change of climate will improve her health rapidly.

Dr. Orr returned Monday evening from Lewiston where he accompanied the 7-year-old daughter of Albert Nan of Ferdinand and there operated on the little girls. She has been very ill for several days with a severe attack of pneumonia and is recovering nicely from the effects of the operation according to the latest information received from the gateway city.

Mrs. J. B. Hattrup is suffering from a bad cold or light attack of the flu.

(ibid, page 6)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Kendrick Gazette. March 28, 1919, Page 1


At a meeting of the school board last Saturday night it was decided to enforce the truancy regulations. There have been a number of children who have not attended school since it closed down on account of the flu. The board feels that there is no further excuse and will expect every child of school age to attend, or be reported to the county officials.
— —

Southwick Items

The children of the Southwick school have been suffering from an epidemic that resembles mumps very much.
— —

Big Bear Ridge

Miss Evelyn Tesch closes a very successful term of school at Taney Friday.
— —

Leland News

Dr. Stoneburner was on sick duty a few days the early part of the week, but is reported convalescing.

Mr. A. H. Smith who has been on sick duty at home is again out, and able to take his place in the store.

Miss Helen Koepp is on the sick list at the home of her mother.
— —

School Notes

A number of cases of influenza have broken out in the high school again. Miss Payne took sick Monday evening.

source: The Kendrick Gazette. (Kendrick, Idaho), 28 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Kendrick Gazette. March 28, 1919, Page 8


The American ridge school closed this week on account of the flu. The Ben Callison family is all ill with the flu.

A number of cases of flu developed in Kendrick the first of the week. The epidemic is now confined to the following homes: Gentry, Rogers, Hanson and Miss Payne. There are also several cases on American ridge.

Jack Freeborn was again making this territory the first of the week after quite an extended absence, occasioned by an attack of pneumonia. He has a host of friends in this community who are very glad indeed to learn of his recovery.

(ibid, page 8)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Daily Star-Mirror., March 28, 1919, Page 1


Will of Asa V. Bradrick is Filed for Probate

In the probate court before Judge Nelson the will of Asa V. Bradrick, who died December 5, 1918 in Spokane of influenza, was filed leaving all the estate to his son, Asa W. Bradrick, of Latah county, who lived near Palouse. The son, Asa W. Bradrick, died of the same disease March 7, 1919, and his will is filed in the same court, leaving all the estate to his wife, Mattie Bradrick and she is appointed as executrix.

The estate consists of a farm and other property valued at about $30,000 in Latah county, besides large holdings in the state of Washington.

The father, Asa V. Bradrick, left $19,000 life insurance to his son, who carried $15,000 in favor of his wife, Mattie Bradrick.
— —

Former Moscow Girl Dies in Spokane

Mrs. Walter J. Keiser, formerly Miss Eveline Hasseltine of this city, died in Spokane Sunday, following a brief illness, and was buried in Greenwood cemetery Wednesday. …

source: The Daily Star-Mirror. (Moscow, Idaho), 28 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Daily Star-Mirror., March 28, 1919, Page 5

City News

Chas. Summerfield, deputy sheriff, returned today from St. Anthony. He reports the influenza as raging in that city, the industrial school being closed by quarantine the day he arrived.

Mrs. W. E. Wallace has just received word of the death of her nephew, Henry Clay, Jr., at Cobens, of pneumonia. Mr. Clay was a major in aviation and had been overseas since last August. He was an American ace, having downed eight German airplanes, and was on his way home when taken ill. He will be remembered by many Moscow friends, as he visited here with his mother when a mere lad.
— —

Pearly Childers Returns From Across Seas

Pearly Childers returned to Moscow yesterday from overseas. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. M. Childers, live just north of Moscow. Mr. Childers was a telegraph operator at St. John, Wash., when he enlisted and his training in the army has been for a wireless operator of a pursuit aero-squadron. He was 13 months abroad, five of which were spent in training in England. He was in several air raids of the Germans inside the allied lines and has seen a number of aeroplanes fall in flames. The bombing plane was the Hanley-Page and carried four men, with two Liberty engines of 200 horse power each. They carry 18 bomb[s] weighing 150 to [sic] pounds each. Mr. Childers’ duty was to find directions and indicate where shells were to be dropped. He has been to the height of 12,000 feet. He states the conditions of the St. Nazaire, the port he sailed from, was very hard on the boys in the way of dampness and mud, the camps not being well located. This exposure brought on disease and 1300 soldiers were buried in one week from St. Nazaire.

Mr. Childers came home on the U. S. S. Mexico, which carried 2500 men and which was in the terrible storm reported by the press. Two men were lost by jams during the storm. They were 15 days coming across. Mr. Childers was mustered out at Camp Lewis. He is offered his former position with the railroad company.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — — — — — — — —

Drummond, Idaho (1)


Photo courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

March 29

Evening Capital News., March 29, 1919, Page 5


Bethany Presbyterian

R. A. Finlayson, Pastor

… The annual congregational meeting of the church, which was held last Wednesday evening, was well attended. The splendid reports of the different departments of the church work were a surprise to many, who had not realized that much work was going on during the year, in spite of influenza and the war conditions. …

source: Evening Capital News. (Boise, Idaho), 29 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Evening Capital News., March 29, 1919, Page 6

Around Boise Valley Loop


Mrs. Earl Coleman who has been in Boise for medical treatment returned to her home Wednesday.


M. T. Hargrove, the local real estate man, is reported quite ill.


Mrs. W. D. Robinson, formerly of this place, is very ill with influenza at Nyssa, Ore.
— —

Under The Capitol Dome

19190329ECN2Influenza In Institution

At the request of J. Fred Williams, superintendent, the state department of education sent three nurses to St. Anthony to assist in curbing the epidemic of Spanish influenza that has broken out in the industrial training school there. Nine cases have developed.
— —

First Death Reported

Walter Hoggan, aged 37, a resident of Rigby, is the first known victim of “sleeping sickness” in the state of Idaho. His death was reported to the state board of health.
— —

Idaho News In Brief

Twin Falls — J. W. Laubenheim, founder of the Saxon Motor Sales company here, is critically ill at his home from an attack of influenza, the second attack this year.

(ibid, page 6)
— — — —

Evening Capital News., March 29, 1919, Page 7

Red Cross Clothing Drive Ends in Success

The Red Cross clothing drive ended today. The final effort put forth by the committee to complete the allotment of 10 tons met with success and by tonight the big boxes will be packed ready for shipment to northwest headquarters at Seattle.

Seventeen automobiles driven by girls and manned with boy scout buglers and workers covered Boise and South Boise, with the result that load after load was brought to the receiving station and more women had to be called in to handle the packing. At 1 o’clock today it was estimated that the allotment had been reached and there is a probability that it may have been exceeded.

(ibid, page 7)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Daily Star-Mirror., March 29, 1919, Page 6


Grade Children Still Under Influenza Ban

Owing to the fact that there have been one or two new families quarantined with influenza each day for the last week, it will not be safe for the ban to be lifted on children of the grade school, Dr. Adair states to The Star-Mirror. As there have been no cases developed in the high school for some time, pupils of the high school will be permitted to attend Sunday school tomorrow and may attend picture shows if they desire, the first of next week. Dr. Adair states: “I would strongly advise against going to any public gathering where not necessary, because of the danger of causing the disease to appear again in epidemic form, and thus result in the schools being closed for the balance of the year. The danger still exists in Moscow the same as elsewhere. In St. Anthony, this state, 72 cases developed in 24 hours this week, necessitating the closing of the schools.

“There are several mothers in Moscow who are seriously ill with the disease, which was carried to them by their children, who contracted it in the grade schools.”

Flags were put up yesterday as follows: Hills, 246 North Washington; Barcherman, 220 North Howard. Each family has two cases. There continues to be a number of cases in families where the flags are still up.
— —

Army’s Health Excellent

Washington. — Health conditions in the army at home and abroad continue satisfactory, according to a report issued yesterday by the surgeon general for the week ending March 21. The report stated there was no unusual prevalence of disease at any camp or station within the United States, and that the non-effective list in the expeditionary forces had continued to decline and now was lower than similar rates in this country.

source: The Daily Star-Mirror. (Moscow, Idaho), 29 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

Jack Waite Mine, Duthie, Idaho (1)


Photo courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

March 30

Evening Capital News., March 30, 1919, Page 9


Around Boise Valley Loop


Mrs. Partridge, who has been nursing the infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Lee Kincaid at Middleton, returned home today.

Joe Kincaid was in Middleton Friday visiting his son and family. He reports his little grandson, who has been very ill, is much improved.


Miss Vera Thomas is reported quite ill.

source: Evening Capital News. (Boise, Idaho), 30 March 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Evening Capital News., March 30, 1919, Page 10

19190330ECN2Over Half Inmates in Training School Down With the Flu
Within One Week Number of Cases Increased to 120 Including 14 Officers

The record in Idaho for rapid spread of influenza was reported Saturday to the state board of education from the Idaho Industrial Training school at St. Anthony. One week ago one case developed. Saturday there were 120 cases, some very serious. Besides over 100 inmates committed to that institution, 14 of the officials are down with the disease, and three members of the family of J. Fred Williams, medical superintendent, including Mrs. Williams.

During the recent state-wide epidemic of influenza the institution was closed either to new students coming in or inmates being discharged. The ban was raised in February and those who had been committed were admitted. It is believed one of them carried the flu into the institution. It would not be surprising if the 200 inmates and officials were all taken ill say school authorities.
— —

Two Tons Short in R. C. Clothing Drive; Will Collect Monday

The Boise district fell two tons short on making its quota of 10 tons in the refugee clothing campaign. Efforts to collect the additional tonnage will be made Monday.

This announcement was made Saturday night by Mrs. Harvey Short, chairman of the collection committee, who found when the clothing had all been weighed that there were 4000 pounds yet to be added to make the amount assigned to the Boise chapter of the Red Cross.

Early Saturday afternoon Mrs. Short was positive the amount would be raised by evening, but all of a sudden the machines failed to come in with such large loads as in the morning. The pace slackened and the quota failed.

Mrs. Short announces, however, that as yet the Boise chapter has never failed to give its full quota and the clothing campaign will be waged stranger than ever Monday to make up the slight deficiency and she wants everyone who can spare even one garment to respond. …

(ibid, page 10)
— — — —

Evening Capital News., March 30, 1919, Page 11


(ibid, page 11)

Further Reading

Idaho Juvenile Corrections Center at St. Anthony


The Idaho Juvenile Corrections Center (1905), also know as the Industrial Reform School, at St. Anthony, Idaho, was designed by J. Flood Walker.
Date 31 March 1905 Source The Idaho Republican, March 31, 1905, pp 7
— — — — — — — — — —

JCC: The first 50 years

By Lynette Staker – Rexburg Standard Journal Jun 9, 2003

This is the first in a series of three stories highlighting the history of the state Juvenile Corrections Center west of St. Anthony as it celebrates its centennial.

Saturday, the Idaho Juvenile Corrections Center west of St. Anthony will celebrate its 100-year birthday with an open house.

And it’s been a long and interesting road from the start to the present.

The center started in 1903 as the Idaho Industrial Reform School after the Idaho Legislature passed a bill establishing an institution for the commitment of wayward youth.

According to information in “Snake River Echoes,” a publication of the Upper Snake River Valley Historical Society, the state decided the school would be located two or three miles from St. Anthony.

The determining criteria was the fertility of the soil, unlimited supply of water and being near the metropolis of the county where water works and electric lights could be supplied at a very reasonable cost.

A tract of land one-half mile west of the city was chosen on 200 acres. The purchase price was $8,500, or about $42.50 per acre. A Tudor gothic style school building was built in 1904, with power, lighting and a heating plant located in the basement of the building.

The industrial department of the building included the carpenter’s shop, shoe shop, steam laundry and cold storage. There was a culinary department in the rear of the basement, a chapel, public offices, dining rooms, dormitories, a sewing room, dressing room, shower and bath rooms and help’s quarters in the building as well.

In 1905, the Legislature decided to change the name of the school d to the Idaho Industrial Training School. And the school began a social calendar designed to bring the kids into a better environment, according to “Echoes.” The boys were allowed to go to town to watch a ball game between St. Anthony and Pocatello, and it was decided this was a successful experiment to show the group could go off campus without running away.

In 1911, the board of directors for the school purchased an additional 80 acres west of the school and had appropriated about $32,000 for this land and the construction of several more buildings on the original site. The shops would include a blacksmith shop, carpenter’s shop, tailor shop, laundry and more. The boys were allowed to work on construction of these buildings under the direction of a supervisor.

Governor James H. Hawley suggested the school was “one of the greatest, if not the greatest, institution in the state.”

The children at the school were taught practical and scientific farming, market gardening, horticulture, stationary and electric engineering, steam fitting, carpentry, masonry, concrete, irrigation, laundering, animal husbandry, dairying, sewing, domestic science, household economy, piano, voice, all stringed and wind instruments, elocution, public speaking, stenography, typewriting, commercial law, bookkeeping, pharmacy, nursing and athletics. Certainly, a variety of subjects kids these days would benefit from as well.

In the fall of 1923, the local newspaper noted there was a full operation of canning and dehydrating of food products to provide food for the officers and children of the school for the winter. Besides a garden, which provided fresh fruits and vegetables, the school also raised animals for meat at their facilities. There were chickens, rabbits, geese and ducks.

In July 1932 the state welfare director visited the school and noted they had 650 acres of land, with 600 under cultivation. There was a herd of 105 registered Holsteins which furnished plenty of milk and butter for the boys and girls. There were 235 boys at that time, and 70 girls.

The cost for maintenance of a student in the years 1941-1942 averaged $1070.11 per student. A survey taken for the boys and girls showed that most were admitted to the school for minor offenses, such as theft, truancy, incorrigibility and immorality for the boys. In the girls’ cases, the most common causes were truancy, incorrigibility, theft and immorality.

A unique approach for the development of the youths at the school was initiated by Maurice Pratt, who took over as head of the school and who planned to make athletics one of the chief instruments in rehabilitating the delinquent youth. He proposed these programs developed healthy bodies, good sportsmanship and relieved the emotional tension generated through a program of nothing but work, study and discipline.

Pratt’s philosophy was to have kindness replace discipline, but the emphasis was still to be on vocational training.

In 1953, 50 years after beginning, Winston Taylor became administrator. It was he who decided to bring in specialists trained in psychology, case workers and therapists, educators and vocational teachers. The idea behind this strategy was that through education, anyone could be made into a model citizen.

In the years since it started, things at the JCC, as it was later named, obviously have changed greatly.

“The main focus now is to deal with criminal behavior and to be able to refocus strengths that the juveniles have into socially acceptable behavior and to try to confront their criminal thinking and behavior,” says JCC Superintendent Jack Cordon.

He says that in the past, children were often placed at the center not only for criminal behavior, but because their parents placed them there because they were having difficulties with them or they were having trouble adjusting in the school setting.

He is also proud of the relationship the JCC has with the surrounding communities, something the center has not always had in the past.

Much of the information for this story is taken from information gathered for a JCC Centennial issue of “Snake River Echoes,” a publication of the Upper Snake River Valley Historical Society.

— — — — — — — — — —

WWI Photos of St. Nazaire, France

Established in June 1917, the Naval Operating Base at St. Nazaire, France, began to receive American Expeditionary Forces that same month. The location was also the port where the U.S. Naval Railway Guns arrived for service. The west-coast port was disestablished after the war.

Sailors passing in review, celebrating first anniversary of America’s entry into the war. St. Nazaire, France on April 5, 1918.

Link: to photo gallery at the National Museum of the U.S. Navy
— — — — — — — — — —

A Cruel Wind: America Experiences Pandemic Influenza 1918-1920 a Social History

A Dissertation Submitted to the Faculty of the Division of the Humanities in Candidacy for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy Department of History
By Dorothy Ann Pettit The University of New Hampshire December 1976


In terms of human mortality, the influenza pandemic of 1918 to 1920 overshadowed World War I. Within the course of less than a year, influenza claimed the lives of twenty million human beings, more lives than all of the battlefield deaths. Although more than a half-million Americans died from the disease and its sequelae during that period, those who have written the history of the twentieth century have, with few exceptions, given only cursory attention to the pandemic. Historians have especially neglected any consideration of the effect of the pandemic upon the mood or psychological state of the nation. One writer after another has described postwar America as a tired nation, but tired in a spiritual, rather than in a physical, sense. This study suggests that the widespread postwar apathy was as much the result of a lingering physical sickness as it was a general spiritual depression. After all, almost every family felt the effects of the pandemic.

The influenza pandemic that began in 1918 was special for several reasons. First, wartime conditions kept the existence of the new strain of flu a secret longer than might have occurred under ordinary circumstances. Pneumonia deaths in the nation’s army camps were already abnormally high before the respiratory plague began its march across the globe. And even as the virus was prostrating hundreds of thousands of victims in Europe in the spring of 1918, Americans tried to convince themselves that the “Spanish flu” had to be the result of inadequate nutrition, a war-related disease that would remain across the ocean. Thus, when a second wave of the new strain of influenza struck the American nation in the fall of 1918, the result was panic and confusion. Physicians did not know if they were dealing with an entirely new disease or if their patients had the more familiar “grippe.” Nor was there any antidote that seemed to provide relief. Second, the disease had the highest mortality rate among the twenty-to-forty-year-olds, the group ordinarily considered to be the healthiest and sturdiest members of society. This penchant for young adults only increased the universal uneasiness and fear of the disease. Finally, when flu came with a special fury in the fall of 1918, it remained at an epidemic level for a remarkably long time— thirty-one weeks Churches, theaters, and places of public amusement and assembly were ordered closed for weeks and sometimes months at a time. Campaign strategies for the off-year elections had to be radically altered. And when the war came to an end in November, influenza struck those who made the peace. The spring following the Armistice was an unhealthy time on both sides of the Atlantic, as it was the following year in 1920, when a third major wave of influenza claimed nearly another one hundred thousand American lives. …

(page 11-12)

Chapter IV

… Gen. Peyton C. March, whose task it was to see that the A.E.F. grew in might as quickly as possible, cabled General Pershing on October 10: “If we are not stopped on account of influenza, which has passed the 200,000 mark, you will get the replacements and all shortages of divisions up to date by November 30.” The very week March sent that telegram, four our of every thousand men in the United States cantonments died of influenza and its complications. Pershing, meanwhile, was cabling for additional hospital units to be sent abroad. Finally, on October 23 March had to wire the A.E.F. chief: “Epidemic has not only quarantined nearly all camps, but has forced us to cancel or suspend nearly all draft calls….Only a few thousand replacements for November are in service….” Two days later, March cabled Pershing again that every man at Fort Oglethorpe who was available for overseas duty was being sent. The personnel officer March had sent to the Fort “took all men out of organizations far down on priority to fill organizations high on priority,” all, that is, who were not in the clutches of disease.

Yet, if the army personnel from Fort Oglethorpe and other camps were healthy when they boarded the transports bound for Europe, too many of them died before the vessels docked on the other side. While the pandemic raged, a total of 789 deaths occurred on the transports and cruisers. Only a small number, twenty-eight, were buried at sea; the rest were either interred abroad or returned for stateside services. Naval statistics showed that 8.8 per cent of the troops who sailed during the autumn months became ill, and of those who had cases of influenza or pneumonia, 5.9 per cent died. The army’s death rate for the voyages was 0.57 per cent, which means one out of every two hundred men died in transport that fall.

Medical officers in both the army and the navy urged at the height of the pandemic that the flow of troops be temporarily suspended, but the movement remained on schedule. Consequently, September through November was a grim period for the navy. Gangplank medical inspections became the rule for those boarding the transports, but these efforts were at best only partially successful. During the September voyage of the George Washington, as many as 450 men were refused permission to board the vessel. Nevertheless, on the second day out, 550 victims of influenza reported to sick call. By the time the vessel arrived in Brest, there had been 131 cases of pneumonia and 77 deaths. According to one account of the voyage, 101 ailing soldiers were sent to base hospitals upon arrival, “and the remainder of the troops went ashore cheering and in fighting trim.”

On the other hand, the experience of the men on the U.S.S. Leviathan, which sailed from Hoboken on September 29, would suggest that those who disembarked on the other side were not always in “fighting trim.” On that ship’s voyage to France, two thousand of the approximately nine thousand soldiers in transit developed influenza, and ninety-one died before the vessel reached Brest. Those who disembarked in the French port found a storm raging, and camp a long four miles away. Without some heroic efforts on the part of Lieut. Com. W. Chambers, M.C., U.S. Navy, who realized that many of the men were too unwell to march that far, many more than four would have been found dead along the roadside. His naval rescue mission picked up 150 influenza and 80 pneumonia victims, and another 370 men convalescing from influenza, along the road— a total of 600 men, all of them too exhausted to continue the march to camp.

In the midst of the pandemic, a transport convoy composed of the U.S.S. President Grant, Mongolia, Rijndum, Antigone, Pastores, Wilhelmina, and Princess Matoika arrived at St. Nazaire. During the crossing 2,600 men became ill. The senior medical officer on the President Grant said that the conditions on board ship had reminded him of the pneumonic form of bubonic plague. Those who died before the convoy docked numbered 246. Considering that another 204 men died later on shore, the true number of deaths for the convoy might more accurately have been put at 450. Moreover, many of the stricken men who survived the epidemic had to be shipped directly back to the States.

Other vessels arrived in Europe during the fall with fewer cases of influenza and pneumonia reported in transit, but the Battle of the Flu lay ahead. Transport No. 56 — the Olympic — arrived at Southampton towards the end of September. The troops on board had escaped infection in the States, and only nine men developed flu on the crossing. However, when the men were held in Southampton Harbor for twenty-four hours before disembarking, a total of 384 cases of the disease developed. Many of the men were severely affected, frequently showing a temperature of 105 degrees at the onset. Men on guard duty were literally dropping in their tracks. The whole shipment of troops consequently left for a rest camp on a nearby English hillside. Within a week 1,900 cases of influenza developed, with hundreds of cases of pneumonia, and 119 deaths. The medical officer who had been in charge on the crossing escaped the flu — for the time being, that is. Some weeks later on November 16, the day after his arrival at the Neufchateau medical headquarters, he reported sick with chills and a temperature of 103.6 degrees. An ambulance quickly carted the shivering physician off to Hospital No. 18 in Bazoilles. …

link: to full paper The University of New Hampshire Scholars’ Repository

Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 1)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 2)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 3)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 4)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 5)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 6)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 7)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 8)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 9)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 10)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 11)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 12)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 13)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 14)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 15)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 16)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 17)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 18)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 19)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 20)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 21)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 22)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 23)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 24)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 25)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 26)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 27)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 28)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 29)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 30)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 31)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 32)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 33)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 34)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 35)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 36)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 37)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 38)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 39)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 40)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 41)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 42)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 43)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 44)