Idaho History Feb 28, 2021

Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic

Part 46

Idaho Newspaper clippings April 1-4, 1919

Some photos courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

Main Street, Eagle, Idaho


Photo courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

April 1

The Idaho Republican. April 01, 1919, Page 2



G. William Parsons died at his home near the canal Tuesday, March 25 at 12 o’clock from an attack of influenza. Mr. and Mrs. Parsons had just returned from Ogden where they went to bury Mr. Parsons’ mother. Mr. Parsons contracted the disease there and came home. It was not generally known there was a case in the vicinity, when the community was shocked by the sad news of his death. Funeral arrangements have not been made.

Bishop R. A. Ward returned Saturday from Malad, Idaho, where he attended the funeral of his brother.

Miss Blanche Claypool was on the sick list the last of the week.

source: The Idaho Republican. (Blackfoot, Idaho), 01 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Idaho Republican. April 01, 1919, Page 3

Greater Red Cross Planned
Unified Action by Societies of the World Proposed
Plans Approved by Wilson
H. P. Davison Gives in Outline at Paris Banquet Red Cross Program for World Welfare – Distress in All Nations to Be Relieved — Epidemics to Be Combated — Central Bureau at Geneva.

Members of the peace delegations of all the powers interested in the proposed league of nations and ambassadors and ministers from various countries, with several hundred newspaper representatives from allied and neutral countries, at a dinner in Paris recently heard H. P. Davison of the American Red Cross announce in outline international Red Cross plans for world welfare. Mr. Davison has been named chairman of a committee of Red Cross societies representing the organizations in the United States, Great Britain, Italy, France and Japan “to formulate and propose to the Red Cross societies of the world a program of extended Red Cross activities in the interest of humanity.” …

“The situation in the world today is tragic beyond description. The distress in the world is of course greater than ever before and beyond comprehension. To me, therefore, it is clear that while the leading men of the world are convened to draw up conditions of peace there is no man or set of men who can by pencil and paper establish a peace which can endure in the presence of the distress throughout the world. I refer of course primarily to conditions in those countries which have suffered directly from the war.

“But our experience and studies have revealed conditions in other countries which are conductive to disquiet and unrest and which will continue to breed a spirit of dissatisfaction until they are at least in some degree improved. The fundamental basis of these conditions is primarily lack of proper foods, but also lack of medical, scientific and general health practice.” …

“If it had been possible to effect this organization two years ago it is conceivable that there would be going today to the various countries now in distress supplies and aid which would give comfort to and restore to health millions of people who cannot now be cared for. No one knows how many millions have died during the last year from influenza. …”

(ibid, page 3)
— — — —

The Idaho Republican. April 01, 1919, Page 4


The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Grimmett died last Wednesday after a short illness.
— —


The George Carlson family have the influenza at the present writing, but are not dangerously ill.

A large crowd attended the dance at the school house on Thursday evening. The music was good and everyone had a good time.
— —


William Parson, who lived at the big fill, departed this life on Tuesday, March 25, suffering from influenza. Mr. Parsons leaves a devoted wife and ten children to mourn his loss. Interment was made in the Yuma cemetery Wednesday afternoon.

The roads are greatly improved the last few days making it possible for cars to travel.

(ibid, page 4)
— — — —

The Idaho Republican. April 01, 1919, Page 5

Local News

Mrs. W. G. Homer returned last week from Salt Lake, where she had been attending her son Edmond, who was in the hospital for treatment of an abscess of the lung, following influenza.

A. Andren, manager of the Andren Auto company, has been seriously ill for two weeks, and is slowly regaining his health.

Mrs. Eliza Lee of Buhl arrived Monday morning on her way to Darlington to be with her daughter Mrs. R. Y. McGee, who has been seriously ill.

H. E. Duffin of Aberdeen has been in Blackfoot for a week taking treatment of Dr. Flodquist; his health had suffered a general run down, but his is improving.
— —

In The Gem State

The governor has vetoed senate measure No. 35, by Porter, which would remove teachers in this state from the protection of the provisions of the workmen’s compensation act. The governor holds there is no reason for making such an exception and that teachers in the state are entitled to protection as employees.
— —

19190401TIR2Flu Slays Poor Mexicans

Ravages of Spanish influenza among the poor charcoal burners who live in the mountains surrounding the Mexican capital are said to be responsible for the unprecedented price which that commodity is bringing. In the last month charcoal, which is generally used for cooking purposes, has increased about 300 per cent in cost. The municipality has made arrangements to buy this product in quantities and retail it at reduced figures. One paper in the capital states that almost 90 percent of the Indians who supplied the City of Mexico with the fuel were victims of the scourge.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — —

The Idaho Republican. April 01, 1919, Page 6


Little Hazel Haynes was quite sick Saturday and Sunday last week.

Mrs. Maud Farnsworth is able to be up and around again.

Hazel and Emma Killion are listed among the sick this week.
— —


Lavaside school is the proud owner of a piano-cased organ. There’ll be music in the air now.
— —


The death of Mr. Parsons, living near the big fill was reported Monday. Influenza was given as the cause of his death.

Mrs. Thomas has been quite ill at her home west of Springfield recently.

(ibid, page 6)
— — — —

The Idaho Republican. April 01, 1919, Page 7

Army Found Many Unfit
467,694 Draftees Turned Down During Last Ten Months of War

In the last ten months of the war, 467,694 men in the United States were found unfit for military service, according to the final report on the draft by provost Marshal General Crowder.

Defective heart and blood vessels were the causes of most of the rejections, 61,142 being barred in those cases. Defective bones and joints barred 57,744 men from the service in the final ten-month period, and 49,801 were rejected because of poor eyes.

(ibid, page 7)
— — — —

The Idaho Republican. April 01, 1919, Page 8

Three Hundred Papers In Distress …

… The men facing these problems are confronted with these facts:

The supply of print paper made scarce during the war may become harder to get.

The skilled newspaper men and printers who went to war have not generally returned alive or in condition to resume their work, or have chosen to go into other lines of activity.

Very few apprentices were learning the trade during the war, and the number who were working at it, very few became proficient and stuck to the work.

[Mortality] among newspaper men due to influenza, were very high, and it takes from ten to twenty years to develop writers of any marked ability to to fill their places. …

(ibid, page 8)
— — — — — — — — — —

Evening Capital News., April 01, 1919, Page 9


Around Boise Valley Loop


Jay Galligan, manager of the Caldwell flouring mills, is reported seriously ill.


Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Chinn received word that their son, Sergt. Walter, who has been seriously ill at Fort Riley hospital, is improving nicely.
— —

How Diphtheria is Contracted

One often hears the expression, “My child caught a severe cold which developed into diphtheria,” when the truth was that the cold had simply left the little one particularly susceptible to the wandering diphtheria germ. If your child has a cold when diphtheria is prevalent you should take him out of school and keep him off the street until fully recovered, as there is a hundred times more danger of his taking diphtheria when he has a cold.

When Chamberlain’s Cough Remedy is given it quickly cures the cold and lessens the danger of diphtheria or any other germ disease being contracted. — Adv.
— —

He Escaped Influenza

“Last spring I had a terrible cold and grippe and was afraid I was going to have influenza,” writes A. A. McNeese, High Point, Ga. “I tried many kinds of medicine, but remained clogged with cold. I then took Foley’s Honey and Tar Compound, feeling relief from the first. I used seven small bottles. It was a sight to see the phlegm I coughed up. I am convinced Foley’s Honey and Tar saved me from influenza.” Checks coughs, colds, croup and whooping cough. — Whitehead’s Drug store. –– Adv.

source: Evening Capital News. (Boise, Idaho), 01 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

Bonners Ferry Herald. April 01, 1919, Page 2


Army-Made Picture Films to Aid Victory Liberty Loan Drive …

Washington, D. C. — Resources of the motion picture industry have been mobilized for the Victory Liberty loan drive Beginning April 21. The treasury department announces that appeals which would be conveyed to bond buyers through the silent drama would form the most extensive propaganda campaign ever conducted by means of the screen theaters. …

Films made by 27 motion picture stars for the fourth loan, which it was not possible to show in many cities because of the influenza epidemic, have been altered and retitled to suit the present loan, and will do duty as intended.

source: Bonners Ferry Herald. (Bonners Ferry, Idaho), 01 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Bonners Ferry Herald. April 01, 1919, Page 5

Local News

Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Jones and family returned to Bonners Ferry last Thursday after having spent the winter in Moscow, Idaho, in order that their children could attend the state university. Both Mr. and Mrs. Jones have just recovered from attacks of the Spanish influenza, the epidemic having struck Moscow recently.

W. W. Ferbrache, accompanied by his sister-in-law, Mrs. H. C. Ferbrache, returned Friday from Pullman, Wash., where they were called to attend the funeral of Mr. Ferbrache’s brother-in-law, John Brooks. The deceased was a resident of this city the year of 1906. He was buried at Pullman last Thursday.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Daily Star-Mirror., April 01, 1919, Page 1


Seniors Take “Sneak” Under Classes Too
Sign Stating Seniors Had The “Flu” Posted on Administration Building

Students of the university were surprised to see a sign on the administration building bulletin board stating that the senior class “had flu.”

It developed that the seniors had chosen April first for their annual sneak picnic. The fourth year class stole out on the picnic early this morning, but the news had spread and other classes decided to be absent from classes for the day. Juniors were to be seen promenading, wearing the seniors’ traditional hat and cane. …

source: The Daily Star-Mirror. (Moscow, Idaho), 01 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

Eastport, Idaho – Kingsgate BC, at International Line


Photo courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

April 2

Evening Capital News., April 02, 1919, Page 10


Mountain Home

Mr. and Mrs. Oliver E. Norell who have been quite ill with influenza are improving rapidly.

source: Evening Capital News. (Boise, Idaho), 02 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Evening Capital News., April 02, 1919, Page 12

Deaths – Funerals

Boswell — Rose Boswell, aged 16 years, died of influenza at St. Anthony Tuesday. She was the daughter of J. S. Boswell. Her sister was with her when the end came and will bring the body home for burial.

(ibid, page 12)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Daily Star-Mirror., April 02, 1919, Page 1


19190402DSM2Three Residences Quarantined

Dr. W. A. Adair, city health officer reports today that so far this week three flu cards were placed on residences in this city. The places quarantined are Reeds, 404 East B street; Lillibridge, 406 East Sixth street, and Hansons, on West Third street.
— —

Presbyterians Hold Congregational Meet …

The Presbyterian church held its annual business meeting of the congregation last night in the church auditorium. Annual reports were heard from all the departments of church activity. One fact stands out clearly: The church is thoroughly alive. In spite of the serious handicap of the extended influenza quarantine the work has gone forward with remarkable success. Forty-eight men members have been added during the year. The report of Benevolences for the church year is the best in the history of the church. …

source: The Daily Star-Mirror. (Moscow, Idaho), 02 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

View of Main Street, Elk City, Idaho


Photo courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

April 3

Evening Capital News., April 03, 1919, Page 9



Attorney and Mrs. W. A. Stone were visitors to Boise yesterday. Mrs. Stone remained and entered a hospital for medical treatment.


Ralph Antrim is sick with the flu.

Miss Ester Reece has been confined to her home for several days with an attack of the flu.

Mrs. W. J. Bailley who has been sick for some time and was moved to the hospital at Caldwell last week, is reported better.


Ormand, the two-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. N. S. Smith, died yesterday afternoon from pneumonia. Funeral arrangement have not yet been announced. Three other children are ill with the same disease.


The pupils of Star high enjoyed an all day April fool picnic at Liberty Tuesday.

source: Evening Capital News. (Boise, Idaho), 03 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Evening Capital News., April 03, 1919, Page 10

World’s Scientists Preparing Program To Combat Disease
Fifty Notables of Great Britain, France, Italy, Japan and U. S. in Conference in France; Red Cross Chief Agent

Cannes, France, April 3. — Fifty leading scientists and business men of the United States, Great Britain, France, Italy and Japan have opened an international congress which will prepare a program for united action in combating disease. The Red Cross will be one of the chief agents, through which this work will be carried on.

The congress is expected to continue for two weeks. The American representatives include Henry Davison, Henry Morgenthau, Colonel Richard Strong, Dr. Emmet L. Holt and Major William Lucas.

Dr. Roux, director of the Pasteur institute, was elected president of the congress; Dr. Machiafva, of Italy, vice president, and Dr. William H. Welch, of Baltimore, chairman of the executive committee.

Davison, as chairman of the Red Cross societies made the opening address. He said he regarded the congress as the most important scientific conference ever held, not only because of the eminence of the delegates, but because of the practical results that will be achieved for the benefit of humanity.

Other speakers expressed the conviction that practical means of carrying out the plans of the congress will be found in the Red Cross societies.

(ibid, page 10)
— — — —

Evening Capital News., April 03, 1919, Page 12

Deaths – Funerals

Boswell – The funeral of Rosa Lee Boswell, who died of influenza at St. Anthony Tuesday, will be held at the Fry & Summers chapel Friday afternoon at 3 o’clock. Rev. G. S. Prout of the Adventist church will officiate and burial will be in Morris Hill cemetery. The funeral will be by automobile.

Caldwell — Fields Caldwell, aged 39 years, died of pneumonia Wednesday evening at a Boise hospital. He is survived by his wife, two daughters, three brothers and four sisters. Mr. Caldwell was a plumber and made his home in Boise since 1903. The body is at the Fry and Summers chapel and no funeral arrangement will be made until the arrival of his brother this evening from Salt Lake.

(ibid, page 12)
— — — — — — — — — —

Payette Enterprise., April 03, 1919, Page 1


Personal and Local Mention

Chief of Police Finske has been sick and unable for duty for several days. W. R. Williams has been on the job during his absence.

Mr. John Boyd who has been seriously ill is now slowly improving.
— —

Letter From Homer Lauer

Neuenahr, Germany. February 27th, 1919.

Dear Mother: —

Just received your letter yesterday morning the first for four or five weeks. You can’t imagine how glad I was to hear from you. I have never heard about any tracer you or anybody else sent after me.

I have written quite often and you should have heard from me at least three or four times a month. I heard from Albert once in base 27 and I wrote to him repeatedly but heard no more from him. Although he stated he was feeling fine and expected he would be on his way home before I received his letter.

I know the influenza is claiming its enormous number of victims without you mentioning the fact.

You may also tell Aunt Emma I wrote to her twice without receiving any answer. Also tell her that I am glad to hear she came out fine as to her operation. You ask when I think I will get home. Well, that is not for me to say; although I hope in the near future I will look upon the good old U. S. A. …

With love to all, Wag. Homer K. Lauer.

source: Payette Enterprise. (Payette, Canyon Co., Idaho), 03 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

The Grangeville Globe. April 03, 1919, Page 1


Grangeville Boy Home

Gaylord Eimers, son of Mr. and Mrs. John P. Eimers, arrived home last Sunday evening from Camp Taylor Kentucky, where he had been occupied in the military band. While in the service Gay spent a lot of time in the hospital, having been afflicted with most all of the ailments that the boys in the service encountered. However he returns looking fine and in the best of health and spirits.

source: The Grangeville Globe. (Grangeville, Idaho), 03 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Grangeville Globe. April 03, 1919, Page 5

[Local News]

After a week’s siege of the “flu” Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Parker are again able to be about. Mr. Parker being down town for the first time on Wednesday.
— —

Eighth Grade Examination

State seventh and eighth grade examinations will be held at the school houses named below on April 9, 10 and 11, and on May 27, 28 and 29:

Greencreek, Cottonwood, Whitebird, Riggins, Elk City, Warren, Clearwater, Grangeville, Kooskia, Ferdinand and Kamiah.

Pupils furnish their own pens, ink, pencils and paper.

Special examiners will conduct the examinations which begin each morning at nine o’clock.

Margaret Sweet, County Supt. of Schools

(ibid, page 5)
— — — —

The Grangeville Globe. April 03, 1919, Page 8

[Local News]

Mrs. Dr. P. J. Scallon is still confined to her home with illness. She contracted the influenza and has been unable to overcome the after effects of the malady.

Mr. and Mrs. A. C. McCloskey of Spokane sister and brother-in-law of Floyd Swank of the Globe force, who arrived here last Friday evening, returned to their home on Sunday morning’s train. Mr. McCloskey was unfortunate in being stricken with a mild form of illness shortly after his arrival which marred the enjoyment of his visit.

Wild geese in large numbers going north have been passing over the city during the past couple of days.
— —

School Notes

The past few days of beautiful weather have permitted the students to be out of doors between school hours. However, they have not let the “call of the wild” interfere with their school work.

Last Monday, during the absence of the regular teacher, Miss Hupp, Mrs. Arnold had charge of the fourth grade.

(ibid, page 8)
— — — — — — — — — —

Idaho County Free Press. April 03, 1919, Page 1


Recover From Influenza

Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Parker have recovered from attacks of Spanish influenza, which kept them confined to their home for a week. Mr. Parker, who receives a number of London papers, says English physicians, after a study of Spanish influenza, have concluded that the disease is identical with the old Black plague, of London.

source: Idaho County Free Press. (Grangeville, Idaho), 03 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Idaho County Free Press. April 03, 1919, Page 2


Dr. Buchanan of Ilo was transacting business here Wednesday.

Sewing will be discontinued at the Red Cross rooms, owing to lack of workers.

(ibid, page 2)
— — — —

Idaho County Free Press. April 03, 1919, Page 5


Mr. Berrig has returned from St. Joseph’s hospital in Lewiston where he has been confined since last October.

Miss Alice Mead has returned to work again at the Whitebird hotel after two weeks’ rest.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Nezperce Herald., April 03, 1919, Page 1


Local News

J. B. McCully accompanied the remains of his one-day-old grandson to this city yesterday from Cottonwood and tenderly laid the little body to rest in the local cemetery. The child was born to Mrs. Gerald McCully on the 1st instant and survived but a few hours. Thus members of three generations of this stricken family have been called across the Great Divide within the past six months, the others being the child’s father, Gerald McCully, and its great grandfather, Judge Adams G. Johnson.
— —

Central Ridge News

Mrs. Stump is quite ill at this writing.

Clarence Reed is on the sick list.

R. W. Senters is on the sick list.

Mrs. Bill Poole is recovering from a severe illness.

Mrs. Coon and daughter, Ella, have the mumps.

The farmers of this section are busy plowing and seeding.

source: The Nezperce Herald. (Nezperce, Idaho), 03 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Nezperce Herald., April 03, 1919, Page 7

Locals and Personal News Notes

Bernice Thomas returned last week from the army service at Camp Lewis having received his discharge. He looks fine and has apparently entirely recovered from the serious siege of influenza and pneumonia he endured some weeks ago. His many friends are glad to have him back.

(ibid, page 7)
— — — —

The Nezperce Herald., April 03, 1919, Page 8


Mrs. Gertrude Flossy Jackson was born August 31, 1889, in Coleridge, Neb. She came west with her parents at the age of seven, and settled on the Nez Perce reservation when it was opened. She died at Ekalaka, Mont., on Monday, March 17, from a liver and kidney affection following an attack of influenza. The funeral was held at the Brethren church in Nezperce at 2 p.m., Wednesday, March 26.

The deceased had many dear friends and she was liked by all who knew her. She was always loving and kind to her homefolks and her departure into the hereafter leaves a void here that cannot be filled. Her two daughters, Hallie and Winnie Parrish and baby son, Frank Jackson, are with their grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Chandler, of this vicinity.

(ibid, page 8)
— — — — — — — — — —

Main Street, Elk River, Idaho ca. 1914


Photo courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

April 4

Evening Capital News., April 04, 1919, Page 12


Little News of Boise

Speaks at Weiser Saturday

An illustrated health lecture will be given at Weiser Saturday evening by M. S. Parker, field secretary of the Idaho Anti-Tuberculosis association of Boise. No admission will be charged and the people of Weiser and vicinity are most cordially invited to be present. Some high-class health pictures will be shown on the canvas by Mr. Parker. The campaign for better health conditions that is being waged in this state is part of a great national campaign financed by the American Red Cross and carried on by the National tuberculosis association, with the fight against the dread disease as the central idea. People everywhere are becoming very much interested in this work and it is sure to result in great good.

Gooding School Plans

Wayland & Fennell have started the plans for the school building for the deaf and blind school to be built at Gooding. The building is a combined dormitory for the girls and school. It will be two stories with a full basement. The legislature appropriated $50,000 for the improvement. The plans will be completed in 30 days.
— —

Deaths – Funerals

Guerricagortia — The funeral of E. Guerricagortia, who died of lobar pneumonia at Emmett last Monday, was held this morning at 9 o’clock at the Church of the Good Shepherd. Burial was in St. John’s cemetery and the funeral was by automobile. The young Spaniard was 22 years of age and unmarried.

source: Evening Capital News. (Boise, Idaho), 04 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

The Meridian Times., April 04, 1919, Page 3


Inland Northwest

The “influenza signal” in wild spots is two rifle shots in quick succession, followed by a third at an interval. The signal saved W. L. Campbell, a rancher of the Craig district, in Montana. He was in the last stages of the disease when his shots brought neighbors.

source: The Meridian Times. (Meridian, Idaho), 04 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Meridian Times., April 04, 1919, Page 8

Meridian Local News

Leslie Wallace, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Kellar, born March 25th, was buried in the local cemetery Sunday afternoon. A brief service was conducted at the grave by Carman E. Mell, pastor of the Christian church. Mrs. Kellar is at the home of her sister Mrs. L. R. Lembke and is convalescent. The Kellars reside on a ranch south of Boise.

T. E. LaForce, a prominent citizen of the Ten Mile and Kuna communities, died March 23, age 60 years. He came to Idaho with his now bereaved wife 25 years ago. They have eight children to mourn the loss of a kind father.

(ibid, page 8)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Caldwell Tribune. April 04, 1919, Page 1


19190404CT2Frank Soper Passed Away Very Suddenly
Had Been Unwell Since Suffering Attack of Influenza — Survived by Wife and Children

Frank E. Soper, well known business man of Caldwell, died Sunday evening. Mr. Soper sustained an attack of the influenza some time ago from which he never fully recovered. More recently he underwent an operation for appendicitis but it was too late to save him. Mr. Soper was about 37 years of age. He is survived by his wife, three children and other relatives.

The funeral was held from the family residence Wednesday. The services were under the auspices of the Odd Fellows. The Rev. F. L. Cook conducted the services. Interment was at Canyon Hill cemetery.

source: The Caldwell Tribune. (Caldwell, Idaho), 04 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Caldwell Tribune. April 04, 1919, Page 7

Items of Interest From Surrounding Territory


Eunice Rockwood has returned home from a stay of three weeks in a Boise hospital.

Frank Soper, who formerly lived in Roswell, died Sunday evening in Caldwell. He was stricken with appendicitis while recovering from influenza.

Mr. and Mrs. Ed Stemper and Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Paine were in Caldwell Saturday where they were called by the illness of Frank Soper. Mr. and Mrs. Ben Paine and Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Aellen were at the same place Sunday.

Lake Lowell

Harold Gibbens has the scarlet fever.

There was no school in Mrs. Reavis’ room Tuesday on account of Mrs. Reavis’ daughter being bitten by a rabid dog. Mrs. Reavis took her daughter to Boise for treatment.


Mrs. Bailey is quite ill with influenza. She was taken to Caldwell to the hospital the last of the week.

Marble Front

Prof. Edwards, principal of the Midway schools has been in quarantine at the county farm with smallpox for the last two weeks and a half. He was released this last week.

Midway News

Several members of the O. M. Hamilton family are suffering from the flu.

Mrs. S. W. Rowland is nursing Mrs. David Strand who is in a critical condition.

Mrs. J. F. Riskemire spent Thursday with her sister, Mrs. Emmett Wilson of Bowmont, who was quite ill.

Prof. E. A. Edwards, who has been a victim of smallpox for the past three weeks, was able to resume his school work Wednesday.

Miss Edith Clements, teacher of the Intermediate department, has been suffering several days with a slight attack of appendicitis. Mrs. Florence Appy of Nampa substituted for her Monday and Tuesday.

(ibid, page 7)
— — — —

The Caldwell Tribune. April 04, 1919, Page 10

Items of Interest From Surrounding Territory

Arena Valley

Miss Nola Peterman has recovered from a severe case of the flu.

Brier Rose

Mrs. Enoch has returned from the hospital in Boise and is at the Krezeck home at present.

John Dennerline, who was reported very ill last week, died Sunday and was buried Monday afternoon.

Mrs. Reavis’ two children were bitten by their dog on Sunday. The dog was supposed to have rabies and was killed and the head sent to Boise for examination.

What might have resulted in a serious accident occurred Sunday when Mrs. McCarthy and her sister-in-law were walking home from church. A cow and yearling came behind them and pushed them down trampling and bruising them considerably. They are very lame and sore, but no bones were broken.

(ibid, page 10)
— — — —

Clearwater Republican. April 04, 1919, Page 1


Women’s Committee of Council of Defense Report

The women’s committee of the Council of Defense, Clearwater Co., Idaho, was organized in the fall of 1917 with a chairman in each district.

After the organization was effected, the first work of the Women’s Committee of the council of Defense was the registration of the women. The response exceeded all expectations – women patriotically offering their services for work of various natures, some even volunteering to manage farms or work on them, thus doing their bit to add to the world’s food supply. This Council of Defense committee has done splendid work throughout the county, assisting all other committees and generally keeping the organization in good working spirit.

Through the generous cooperation of our Demonstration Agent, Miss Dorothy Taylor, we were able to do much in the Home Economics Department. The literature, including recipes and explanations, was carefully and thoroughly distributed through an arrangement of a series of meetings. Each precinct chairman, with the assistance of Miss Taylor gave demonstrations of war-recipes and substitutes. This was intensified by good, practical talks on the many subjects vital to housekeepers. In this manner the practical work was carried to the remotest districts.

The various exhibits of cooked foods and made-over clothing were generously supported and recipes largely called for. The made-over clothing work by Miss Erwin was far reaching in its effects. In connection with one meeting Miss Permeal French, Dean of Women of the University of Idaho, spoke to the women on the subject bearing on what should be done for the girls.

During the canning season, representatives from the precincts met in Orofino for canning demonstrations and they, in their turn, conducted similar meetings, each in her own community. Information was persistently sought relative to the subject of food preservation during the entire period of the war. The meetings demonstrating the labor-saving devices and general household economics were stopped by the quarantine caused by the influenza epidemic. This work has been of inestimable value to the women, not only in proving our patriotism, but in bringing us closer sympathy in our own branches of work. …

source: Clearwater Republican. (Orofino, Idaho), 04 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Clearwater Republican. April 04, 1919, Page 2

Boy Asleep 28 Days, But Happy

Beaumont, Texas. — Thurman McNeal, age 14, son of Young McNeal, hotel proprietor at Voth, 8 miles north of this city, March 30 completed his 28th day in a state of coma. Attending physicians pronounce it a case of “sleeping sickness.” The boy appears to be gaining weight. He eats heartily and doctors regard it as remarkable that he is apparently enjoying his trip into aphasia, as at times he laughs most heartily over what appear to be his dreams. So far as known he is oblivious of everything that goes on around him.

(ibid, page 2)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Kendrick Gazette. April 04, 1919, Page 8



Gus Birchmier of Texas ridge went to Moscow Saturday to visit his father-in-law, who is quite ill.

Dr. Kelly of Lewiston was in Kendrick last Saturday on business.

The call for volunteers to make convalescent gowns received very little response. Mrs. Frank Fredrickson of American ridge was the only one who volunteered to make one of the gowns – not a single volunteer among the ladies of Kendrick. These gowns are needed and must be made up immediately. Call at the Kendrick Store and Mr. Dammarell will give you the material all cut out and ready for you to sew.

source: The Kendrick Gazette. (Kendrick, Idaho), 04 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

Montpelier Examiner. April 04, 1919, Page 5


Local News

June A., the ten-months-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Cochran, died last Sunday evening, from pneumonia following the influenza. Funeral services were held from the home Tuesday afternoon.

Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Cochrane desire to express their sincere thanks to the friends and neighbors for the kindly assistance rendered during the illness and after the death of their infant daughter.

Russle D., the seven-months-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Ira Chaffin, died last Friday night from pneumonia. Short funeral services were held at the home Sunday morning.

Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Gould, who were called here by the death of Mrs. G’s father, George Munns, left Tuesday for their home at Baker City, Oregon.

Funeral services for the late George Munns were held at the Methodist church last Sunday afternoon. At the grave the Masonic burial services were conducted.

source: Montpelier Examiner. (Montpelier, Idaho), 04 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.

Influenza Camp 1918

Original caption: “Photo shows a scene in the influenza camp at Lawrence, Maine, where patients are given fresh air treatment. This extreme measure was hit upon as the best way of curbing the epidemic. Patients are required to live in these camps until cured.” Bettmann / Bettmann Archive

source: Alan Taylor April 10, 2018 “30 Photos of the 1918 Flu Pandemic” The Atlantic

Further Reading

When The Pandemic Came To The Inland Northwest — 102 Years Ago

Nicholas Deshais April 3, 2020

An undated photo of military parade in downtown Spokane in 1918. Courtesy of the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture

NOTE: This story is a collaboration between the public media Northwest News Network, Spokane Public Radio, Northwest Public Broadcasting and the Spokesman-Review.

Two weeks before Spokane went on lockdown, the news was the disease wouldn’t come here.

The newspaper told its readers that “there is no reason to be greatly alarmed” because the “imported type” of viral infection was “not available” here.

The city’s public health officer offered soothing words.

“If Spokane people will sneeze in their handkerchiefs and turn their heads the ‘other’ way when they cough, there is but a remote chance that the city will be attacked,” he told the paper.

They were wrong.

The virus arrived, and the city’s theaters, schools, churches, dance halls and every other place where people gathered were ordered closed, as were events like funerals and weddings.

The year was 1918 – the last time a pandemic reached Spokane. A century has passed, and Spokane and the world are once again contending with quarantine and the powerful role public health officials can play in times of outbreak.

It’s a frightening time, with a sedate city anxiously waiting to see how bad it gets. But some look back to see a way forward.

“My reaction about learning about the disease today, about COVID-19, my first reaction as a historian was to try to give it context,” said Logan Camporeale, a local historian. “Based on the newspaper record, what we did in 1918, in October 1918, is much of what we’re dong in March of 2020.”

Dr. Bob Lutz, the health officer for the Spokane Regional Health District, agreed that 1918 is a good analogy to now.

“I think there are a lot of comparisons to 1918,” Lutz said. “So to say that we’ve been here before, yeah, we’ve been here before a century ago, but not in the recent past. Not in the past anyone here can remember.”

The inability to recall how bad things got here has led people to dismiss the threat, Lutz said.

“I think that we have, as a society, become so independent that when I tell you that I require you to do this, there’s a lot of, ‘Well don’t tell me, I don’t believe it,’” he said. …

That brings up another difference between 1918 and 2020.

“Back then, you did not have testing. Now you have testing,” Lutz said. “Back then you – essentially based upon a constellation of symptoms – you said this person had flu and you treated them accordingly. Now we have a constellation of symptoms, which is consistent with COVID-19, and we have a test for COVID-19, but we don’t have the testing materials to provide the evidence.”

In other words, people don’t believe the outbreak is here until there is a test confirming it’s here. And if they don’t believe it’s here, they won’t follow Lutz’s recommendations for social distancing.

“To some degree, until people truly believe that it is here, they are pushing back against a lot of the social distancing recommendations that we are providing,” Lutz said.

As testing proved on March 14 that the novel coronavirus had arrived in Spokane, Lutz urged people to take it seriously.

“We’ve not had anything of this complexity and severity for a century,” he said.

War Brings Flu Home

… The 1918-19 influenza pandemic infected 500 million people worldwide, and killed between 17 and 100 million people – upwards of 5% of the human population.

It didn’t spare the U.S., where more than 500,000 people died. Joseph Waring, a medical historian in South Carolina, called it “the greatest medical holocaust in history.” And Isaac Starr, in the Annals of Internal Medicine, ranked it as “one of the three most destructive human epidemics” along with the Justinian plague in the year 541 and the Black Death in the mid-1300s.

A naval unit in Pullman, Washington, on Nov. 11, 1918, celebrating the end of World War I. Courtesy of the Franks Collection, Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture

At the same time, the world was seeing the end of what would later be called World War I, referred to at the time as the Great War.

The so-called “War to End All Wars” would result in the deaths of 9 million combatants and 7 million civilians, making it the third deadliest war ever, behind World War II and the Mongol conquests of the 13th century.

It’s no coincidence the war and influenza pandemic struck at the same time.

Though the war began in Europe in 1914, the U.S. didn’t join the Allies until 1917. The draft was extended, and the Army went from having tens of thousands of troops to millions.

While theories compete about the flu’s source, there is no argument that it was ravaging the soldiers in Europe in 1917, where the newly expanded American Army was headed.

During their tours, men from around the world, including Americans, lived in tight, squalid conditions that “favored the transmission of influenza. Men moved between camps frequently and went overseas and back, facilitating the transmission of the disease over even wider areas,” wrote Keirsten Snover in her 2008 master’s degree thesis for Eastern Washington University called “The Spanish Influenza Epidemic of 1918-1919: The Spokane Experience.”

“Because of the war, what might have been a limited epidemic quickly became a pandemic, with troops spreading infection all over the globe,” Snover wrote.

“Fear Of Influenza”

Dr. John Anderson was strolling down Riverside Avenue in downtown Spokane when a man spit on the sidewalk in front of him – a common, if foul, occurrence.

It was also an arrestable offense, as the man would soon find out.

The year was 1918, and Spokane was under something like martial law – but instead of the military giving orders, it was the public health authority.

And Dr. Anderson, Spokane’s chief public health officer, called the shots.

The man wasn’t arrested. Instead, Anderson ordered him to wipe his own spittle off the sidewalk, which he did, with Anderson watching.

The date was Oct. 8, and Anderson could be forgiven for his extreme reaction. He and 17 Spokane physicians had just met to discuss a telegram they’d received from T.D. Tuttle, the state commissioner of health, urging them to ban public gatherings.

Anderson and the doctors agreed. At midnight that day, Oct. 8, all theaters, schools, churches, dance halls and every other place where people gathered were ordered closed, as were events like funerals and weddings.

When Anderson ordered the closure of most of Spokane’s public places, there were few who protested, even if most people didn’t believe or understand the danger of influenza. The city streets were “as sparsely filled as in a blizzard,” The Spokesman-Review reported.

The first day of those quiet streets – Oct. 9, 1918 – Spokane had its first reported flu death.

In an article titled “Epidemic grows, girl succumbs,” the Spokesman reported the death of Vera Wood, 17, the daughter of “pioneers of the Sprague region” who lived near the old Spokane University in Spokane Valley. She was “stricken last Saturday,” and contracted the flu from her brother, Vernon Wood, a Lewis and Clark High School student. He recovered, she didn’t.

It was later reported that James Alphea Howe was the first 1918 influenza death. When he died on Oct. 5, 1918, it was first thought the 79-year-old had succumbed to pneumonia, but later ascribed to influenza.

The cases piled up. By Oct. 10, 1918, there were 220 reported cases of influenza in Spokane and Anderson ordered all doctors in the city to file daily reports with him. The city’s hospitals were at capacity and Anderson saw the situation deteriorating.

Anderson and the local Red Cross formulated a plan to transform one of the city’s hotels into a hospital. Near the corner of Lincoln Street and First Avenue, the Lion Hotel was perfect. It had big and small rooms, and was centrally located near Deaconess Hospital.

On Oct. 16, the city seized the Lion Hotel to convert for people “with severe cases or those who were homeless,” according to the newspaper. The owners objected, and the following day the Spokane Daily Chronicle reported Anderson’s indifference to their concerns.

“We don’t care a rap what the owners of the building think about it or about us,” Anderson said. “We don’t propose to haggle with them over it. This is a very serious emergency and if the owners of the Lion Hotel think they can put a dollar in one side of the scale and a human life in the other and get away with it they are very, very badly mistaken.”

It was just the beginning of Anderson’s increasingly belligerent tone against people who disagreed with his measures to combat the flu. The number of reported cases was growing by 75 each day, and the total stood at 815 when the Lion became an influenza ward.

In the family papers of Robert O’Brien, old newsletters tell the story of Mary Philomena O’Brien, who volunteered to care for WWI soldiers as well as those afflicted with the 1918 flu. She died of the flu after caring for patients. Credit: Jesse Tinsley/The Spokesman-Review

Two days later, on Oct. 18, a total of 15 people had died from the flu, and Anderson put Spokane under an even stricter quarantine: gatherings in private clubs were now banned, and passengers on the city’s streetcars were no longer allowed to stand in the aisle and hang on a strap if the seats were full.

On Oct. 23 – just two weeks after the city’s first death – the city had its worst day yet, with 300 new cases reported. Anderson was furious, blaming lax adherence to his measures, and promised to squelch such activities.

“It has been brought to my attention that some people have disobeyed the order by giving private social affairs at their homes,” he said. “Upon the first information I have that such a thing is being planned, we will appear on the scene and arrest the ringleaders without respect to their prominence or social standing.”

Four days later, Anderson was “shocked” to see 1,500 people gather at the Great Northern Depot, site of the clocktower in Riverfront Park, to see young men go off to war. He banned public send-offs of the troops then and there.

“There is a difference between wholesome fear of influenza and morbid dread of the disease,” Anderson told the Chronicle. “Spokane people, for their own good, must realize the difference.”

If he couldn’t get them to fear the disease, he would rule the city with an iron, health-minded fist. He considered shutting the entire city down, except grocery stores and restaurants, but backed off without explanation. Instead, he outlawed Halloween masks, and ordered police to stop masked trick-or-treaters.

“Small Plants Called Germs”

As a doctor, Anderson was well-versed in his day’s theories of sickness and health.

But he, like everyone else in 1918, didn’t know that influenza was a virus, a fact only revealed in 1933 when the human influenza virus was first isolated from a pig. Since its identity as a virus wasn’t yet known, there was no flu vaccine, and would not be on widely available until 1945.

But Anderson knew about germ theory, and he was happy to explain it to those who balked at his strict measures.

“Spanish influenza is caused by very small plants called germs that come from the mouth or nose of persons suffering from it,” he told the Chronicle. “The person gets the germ into his body by breathing into the nose or mouth the drops or spray that have been sneezed or coughed out into the air by a person sick with influenza or else he gets the germs into his body by putting into his mouth something soiled by the spit of a sick person.”

In a full-page ad in the Spokesman, the city’s health department told people, “Don’t Be Alarmed – Be Careful!” The ad advised people to go to bed if they were feeling sick, keep the windows open, take laxatives and consume milk, eggs and broth every four hours. Nurses were told to wear a mask and wash their hands frequently. Workers were urged to avoid streetcars, walk to work and “eat good, clean food.”

Nowadays, the explanation and remedies seem less than satisfactory, and we have a more nuanced understanding of viruses.

In short, a virus is so small and simple it’s not considered a living thing. Instead, it invades living things, and only once it has infected a life form does it replicate. The only identifiable function of a virus is to reproduce, and it will reproduce until the cell it has invaded bursts, sending its millions of duplicates out to invade more cells.

The 1918 influenza virus went by a few names back then: Influenza, the Spanish flu, la grippe, the grip.

Now, we know it as H1N1, which describes the type of proteins that make up the virus, as well as its shape. It’s also called swine flu. …

When H1N1 struck in 1918, it decimated the usual victims – the very young, and the very old. But it was unusually fatal for healthy adults as well.

In his book “The Great Influenza,” John Barry writes that the immune systems of healthy adults “mounted massive responses to the virus. That immune response filled the lungs with fluid and debris, making it impossible for the exchange of oxygen to take place.”

Instead of saving them, the immune systems drowned their masters.

Despite his odd description of the germ-plants, Anderson showed that he and other medical professionals knew how the virus was spread: through the air and by an exchange of fluids between the healthy and the infected.

War Is Over

As November 1918 began, the war and flu raged on, and things weren’t looking good in Spokane.

It hadn’t even been a month since the first H1N1 death, and the city had tallied 4,000 flu cases and more than 100 dead. There weren’t enough doctors and nurses to staff the city’s many sick wards.

Anderson told the Chronicle the “situation is grave … really serious, more serious than the general public seems to realize.”

Volunteers wearing gauze masks at a street kitchen in Cincinnati serve food to children of families afflicted by the flu pandemic in the winter of 1918-1919. Courtesy of Spokesman-Review Archives

On Nov. 4, the state health board issued a new order: Everyone had to wear a mask while out in public, including at stores and restaurants. The masks had to be a certain size – 5 by 6 inches – with six layers of sewn-and-bound gauze.

Two days later, the local Red Cross sold the masks at City Hall. Two types of masks were priced at 5 or 10 cents and all 500 sold out in a half-hour. Hundreds of people were turned away. The Red Cross hastily made 4,000 more masks, but they hung loosely on the face and were unpopular and uncomfortable.

The next day, 800 masks were sold in the first half-hour. The paper tallied the dead at 117.

On Nov. 9, the front-page of the Chronicle screamed in large, bold letters, “Kaiser Quits.” The war was over, at least in Europe. Anderson tried to cool any hearts that may have been warmed by the news.

“Stay home all you can. Order your merchandise over the telephone. Don’t forget to keep your windows open both night and day and keep in the fresh air as much as possible and comply with all rules and regulations,” Anderson said.

He was ignored. With the end of war, celebrations broke out around Spokane on Nov. 11, Armistice Day, including a parade on Riverside Avenue. Thousands of motorists and marchers created a “bedlam of sound” with horns, klaxons, tin cans, streetcar whistles and gongs. The parade, which started at 1 p.m., continued deep into the night. Public parties lasted throughout the day.

More than 4,500 Spokane men had gone to war, and more than 200 had died in the fight. Anderson, fighting to prevent more death, knew he couldn’t stop the celebration, but lamented that the “merrymakers as a rule disregarded the mask rule as a hindrance to their vocal powers.”

The same day, the state health commissioner lifted the mask rule, and news of his ruling reached Spokane that evening and “immediately circulated among a population already in the midst of celebrating the end to the war,” according to the Influenza Encyclopedia, a website with an account of the illness in the city based on newspaper reports of the time.

Anderson, buoyed by peace, said he thought all the restrictions could be lifted soon.

With Anderson – and therefore probably most of the city – believing the flu was on its way out, the Spokesman wrote a fawning profile of the health officer, saying “it is probably fair to say that he has earned the respect and admiration of his fellow citizens in a way no other public official of Spokane has approached.”

Anderson used logic to convince his fellow citizens, the profile said. Failing that, he wielded power.

In the profile, Anderson likens his fight against the flu to the war won in Europe. More to the point, he demanded the power of a general to finally vanquish his “invisible enemy.”

“It is just as necessary to concentrate responsibility and authority in one man here as on the battlefield. Perhaps more so, for the soldier fights a visible foe while the health authorities and the physician are combating an invisible enemy. All we see is results of the foe’s strength,” he said. “It is prompt action which saves the day, and we know it as never before after this epidemic.” …

Theaters Revolt

As December 1918 began, nothing changed. Every day, 200 cases of the flu were reported. Still, Anderson believed the flu was waning, lifted some restrictions and said school would be in session again, after seven weeks of closure. Theaters were allowed to open, but with strict temperature and humidity controls.

At a time before radio and television, the bored people of Spokane rejoiced. Social life would begin again, just in time for the holidays.

It didn’t last. The flu roared, and the city counted 231 dead. Anderson blamed the war celebrations and recent Thanksgiving gatherings.

“Keep away from crowds,” he said. “Influenza is a crowd disease. The present increase should convince the most skeptical that the gatherings of the Thanksgiving week have been dangerous.”

Local businesses affected by the flu ban were gathering signatures to have it lifted. “They might as well save their ink,” said the city’s health officer. Credit: Spokesman-Review Archives

On Dec. 3, 300 new influenza cases were reported and again the city’s schools were ordered shut. Anderson again recommended a full ban on public gatherings, causing a “near-riot” at a city board of health meeting on Dec. 6.

“Hooting, hissing and cat-calling came from the back of the room, and one man had to be cautioned by police Sgt. Daniel to keep quiet or leave the room,” reported the Chronicle.

Facing a would-be mob, Anderson and the board compromised: Churches would be allowed one service each week, but with no singing because it “acts as a releaser of germs during the singing, nearly the same as during coughing, and that would be dangerous.” Theaters could remain open, but would have to “close between the hours of 5 and 7 p.m., to air out the theater building.”

That day, there were 342 new cases of the flu and eight deaths.

Despite the death and disease, business owners were tired of the forced closures, and people were too. The Empress Theater, at Riverside and Browne Street, violated the quarantine. Two health inspectors went to the theater and found “84 people standing in the lobby, in direct violation of the quarantine order,” Anderson said. There also were children under 12 in attendance and the gallery was overcrowded. When the health inspectors ordered the lobby cleared, “management paid no heed.”

If the Empress tried to reopen, Anderson said he’d arrest the manager, the ticket seller, the doorkeeper and every other employee.

Later that week, with deaths tallied at 374, the owner of the Hippodrome on Howard Street said he was closing the theater for good, and blamed the financial losses stemming from the quarantine.

The next day, Dec. 17, a coalition of theater owners said they had collected several thousand signatures asking for the end of the ban on public gatherings.

“Those petitions will have as much effect on me as water on a duck’s back,” Anderson said. “The people circulating and signing the petitions might just as well save their ink.”

He said the partial ban would go on until January and suggested the businesspeople were putting profits ahead of the public good. “A dollar is good, but it is no good to a dead man,” he said.

Around this time, Anderson outlawed Christmas and New Year’s celebrations.

Forget All About The Flu

Over the next few weeks, the situation improved. The worst was over. On Dec. 30, Anderson announced all restrictions would be lifted at noon New Year’s Day, and schools would reopen Jan. 2.

Even Anderson’s rhetoric shifted.

“Forget all about the ‘flu.’ Dismiss it from your mind,” Anderson said, according to the Jan. 4, 1919, paper. “I believe everybody would be better off if they would just forget all about the ‘flu.’ I don’t mean by this that people should mingle with persons who have the disease, but I do mean that people should get away from the idea that if they have a little pain or ache they should think it is the influenza. Just quit thinking about it as much as possible. This is my suggestion.”

On Jan. 13, Anderson closed the Lion Hotel hospital, which “truly signaled the end of Spokane’s epidemic,” according to the Influenza Encyclopedia. Over 89 days, the hospital had treated 617 people and saw 68 deaths.

By the end of the flu’s course through Spokane, some 17,000 Spokanites got the flu, and 1,045 died. The severity of the disease in Spokane led to a higher death rate than in Seattle. And its three “peaks” – two in October and one in December – were more than the typical American city, which saw just two.

The number of cases and deaths would grow outside of this October-to-February window, but Anderson wouldn’t stay in Spokane to see it all the way through. Deaths would continue to mount after February 1919, but at a slower rate.

On April 18, Anderson was given a farewell reception by the employees of the city health office and members of the Rivercrest Contagion Hospital, according to the May 10 edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

He was retiring as the city’s health officer after eight years and had been named the state commissioner of health. …

full story: NWPB

Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 1)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 2)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 3)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 4)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 5)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 6)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 7)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 8)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 9)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 10)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 11)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 12)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 13)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 14)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 15)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 16)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 17)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 18)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 19)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 20)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 21)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 22)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 23)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 24)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 25)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 26)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 27)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 28)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 29)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 30)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 31)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 32)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 33)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 34)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 35)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 36)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 37)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 38)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 39)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 40)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 41)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 42)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 43)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 44)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 45)