Idaho History Mar 21, 2021

Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic

Part 49

Idaho Newspaper clippings April 15-18, 1919

Photos courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

April 15

The Daily Star-Mirror., April 15, 1919, Page 5


19190415DSM2Some Influenza Cases In Moscow
Health Officer Again Sounds Warning Against Ignoring Precautions

Dr. W. A. Adair, city health officer, says the danger of influenza has not yet been passed and he cautions all to observe the regulations and again announces that school children are not permitted to attend public amusements. Dr. Adair prepared a statement to the public today, and it is here given:

The flu situation is very satisfactory. The last quarantine cards were removed last Saturday evening. This does not mean that there is no danger of a further outbreak of the disease, and care must be exercised in order to prevent the return of the epidemic.

Our neighboring town, Juliaetta is now having a severe outbreak in the schools. Last week in one room of about forty pupils there were only thirteen able to attend.

Warm weather does not prevent the disease, it only lessens the complications. Germany had the severest epidemic in July. According to the United States health report, two of our warm states, California and Louisiana, are now having an increase of the disease. Also England is now in the midst of a third epidemic of such great severity that it is giving the sanitary authorities great concern.

Grade children are not allowed to attend the picture shows on Saturday but may attend matinees given after school hours on school days.

It is not permissible for public school pupils to attend dances until further notice.

source: The Daily Star-Mirror. (Moscow, Idaho), 15 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

Bonners Ferry Herald. April 15, 1919, Page 8


James Schultz Home Again

James Schultz arrived in Bonners Ferry last Tuesday and is spending the week visiting with old friends. He was recently discharged at Camp Lewis after having been in the service for over a year and having seen a years active service overseas. He was gassed and also suffered severely from an attack of influenza and is not in the best of health now.

He expects to re-enter the employ of the government in the forest service and will be a look out in the Addie district, starting on his duties in about [? cut off].

source: Bonners Ferry Herald. (Bonners Ferry, Idaho), 15 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

Evening Capital News., April 15, 1919, Page 6


Little News of Boise

Visiting Uncle

Miss Nancy McConnell, a Red Cross nurse who served Uncle Sam last winter, is visiting her uncle, C. S. McConnell. She was recently released from service at Fort Douglas, Utah. Before entering the service she lived in Colorado, but now has no home, as her parents died of influenza, while she was serving the government in a cantonment.
— —

Card of Thanks

We wish to thank our kind friends and neighbors who assisted us during the illness and death of our little son. – Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Baumchen.

source: Evening Capital News. (Boise, Idaho), 15 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Evening Capital News., April 15, 1919, Page 9

Around Boise Valley Loop


Miss Edna Tucker is reported ill.

Miss Amanda Wolf, who has been very ill, is able to be out again.

Miss Mable Griffith is ill at this writing.

The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Crother, who has pneumonia, is much improved.

Dr. Payne of Nampa was here Monday on professional business.


Mr. and Mrs. O. C. Robison arrived Sunday morning from Long Beach, Cal., where they have been the past two months on account of Mrs. Robison’s health, which is much improved.

Mildred, the 3-week-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Warren Tinyske, died at 2 p.m. Saturday at Cascade. Burial will be at Nampa Tuesday afternoon.
— —

Over 4000 Head Cattle Vaccinated Present Year

Caldwell, April 15. — More than 4000 head of cattle have been vaccinated in Canyon county this year by County Farm Agent George Dewey against the disease of Blackleg and the work of vaccination is still in active progress. One of the greatest phases of work accomplished by the county farm bureau the last two years has been its prevention of animal diseases.

(ibid, page 9)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Idaho Republican. April 15, 1919, Page 2



The Willard Monson family are ill with influenza.

The children of Joe Christensen are all nicely recovering from the flu.

The Oliver Nielson family are ill with the flu.
— —

George Kirk Died at Salt Lake Wednesday

George Kirk, a young man twenty years of age, son of Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Kirk of Blackfoot died at the L. D. S. hospital in Salt Lake City Wednesday evening, from pneumonia following an attack of influenza. Mr. Kirk has been in very poor health for the past four months and was very weak at the time he contracted influenza. His mother took him to the Salt Lake hospital from the Blackfoot home, Saturday night, but all that skilled care could do was not enough to restore the young man to health.

Young Kirk was raised in Salt Lake City and moved with his parents to a fine ranch west of town about a year ago. During the short time that he has lived here he made many friends and acquaintances.

The father was in Salt Lake at the time death occurred and the other members of the family went down Thursday morning to attend the funeral services which will be conducted there.
— —

In The Gem State

Construction will start at once on the new $75,000 high school building at Caldwell.

source: The Idaho Republican. (Blackfoot, Idaho), 15 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Idaho Republican. April 15, 1919, Page 4


Shelley Soldier Died

Alverious Hanks, son of E. K. Hanks, died at Mare Island after an attack of pneumonia. Alverious, better known as Tot, was well known around Shelley, having lived here most of his life. He was an industrious young man, full of the vigor of youth. His father knowing he was very ill left for Mare Island and got there just in time to see his boy alive. This is the third Shelly boy to give his life for the great cause of Democracy. The heartfelt sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved parents of this boy.

(ibid, page 4)
— — — —

The Idaho Republican. April 15, 1919, Page 5

Local News

The two-months old son of Mr. and Mrs. Edgar L. Devinna, East Judicial street, Blackfoot, died Sunday, after a short severe illness. Dr. Patrie was called to see the child Saturday.
— —

Card of Thanks

We wish to thank the many kind friends who did so much for us during the illness and at the death of our beloved mother and wife. The numerous and beautiful floral offerings also did much to help us bear the loss which is so great.

F. T. Halverson and Family
— —


Mrs. E. N. Bingham left for Rexburg Wednesday to attend the funeral of a nephew Arthur Middleton, who gave his life for his country. Mr. Middleton served in the navy during the war; was taken ill while in the service and left in a deaf and dumb school. He was totally disabled and has suffered intensely the past three months.
— —


Miss Lillie Belnap has recovered from her illness and has resumed her work in the Lindsay-Walker store.

Miss Gladys England is on the sick list this week.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — —

The Idaho Republican. April 15, 1919, Page 6


Death of George Kirk

George Kirk died at the hospital in Salt Lake City, Wednesday evening, after an attack of influenza-pneumonia. Funeral services were conducted there and the body laid to rest at that place.

Delbert, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Stanger has been quite ill the past week.

Charles Kirk, who recently went to Salt Lake for medical treatment is very ill.
— —


Mrs. John V. England was called to McCammon this week because of the illness of her grandchild.

(ibid, page 6)
— — — — — — — — — —

Scene in Residence Section, Fruitland, Idaho


Photo courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

April 16

Evening Capital News., April 16, 1919, Page 9


Around Boise Valley Loop


M. T. Hargrove, the local real estate man, who has been quite ill the last two weeks, is reported much improved.


The Griffith children are sick with the flu.

Mrs. J. H. Cone returned from Boise Tuesday where she has been with her daughter, Vivian, who is in the hospital.


Mrs. Henry Jones, who won many friends during visits to this neighborhood, died at her home near Caldwell Sunday from influenza.

Mrs. Jay Vinson was called to Cascade Tuesday to help care for her grandmother, who is sick.

Mrs. William Hudson was called to Caldwell Sunday on account of the illness and death of her brother’s wife.


Mrs. Clara Bryant is ill at a Boise hospital, suffering from a slight attack of pneumonia.

source: Evening Capital News. (Boise, Idaho), 16 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

The Daily Star-Mirror., April 16, 1919, Page 5


City News

Word has been received from Mrs. C. C. Brown of Innisfree, Alberta, that she found her son, Frank, better and rapidly improving from a severe attack of influenza. Mrs. Brown says the crops in Canada look fine and the climate much like Idaho.

The funeral of Mrs. Warney May occurred yesterday at 11 o’clock at the Methodist church on American ridge and interment was made in the Moscow cemetery. Many of her friends accompanied the remains to Moscow, 24 automobiles coming from American ridge.

John Waide of Kendrick, Harold Thomas, Miss Phyllis Cain, Robert Cain, Don Douglas, and Wm. Watts of American ridge were among the number in Moscow yesterday attending the funeral of Mrs. Warney May.

source: The Daily Star-Mirror. (Moscow, Idaho), 16 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

Forest, Idaho May 25, 1911


Photo courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

April 17

Evening Capital News., April 17, 1919, Page 8


Around Boise Valley Loop


Miss Mary Pecker is confined to her home this week on account of illness.


The Baptist bazaar and ice cream social which was to have been held at the hall Friday, April 8, has been postponed on account of the influenza.

Members of the j. H. Mabee family are all ill with influenza this week.

Henry Plowhead, youngest son of W. T. Plowhead, is ill with the influenza.


Joice, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kinney, is reported ill.

Lake Lowell

B. M. Altizer is recovering from the influenza.

Mr. and Mrs. Everett Coon’s baby is very ill with pneumonia.

The Misses Louise, Ethel and Clarabel Wright have been quite ill with the flu for the past week but are improving.

Little Woodrow Spear who has been quite ill with pneumonia for the past few weeks is improved.

source: Evening Capital News. (Boise, Idaho), 17 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

Payette Enterprise., April 17, 1919, Page 1


Personal and Local Mention

The Will Stanton family who were all seriously ill with la grippe for the past ten days, are on the mend. Will was able to be at the [?] Monday for the first [time since being] sick.

Mr. F. S. Stanton who as been confined to his home for two weeks with a very severe attack of lagrippe [sic] is now able to be on the streets. Mrs. Stanton is improving but is yet unable to be out.

Chief of Police Finske who has been under quarantine with Smallpox for sometime is again on the streets, his case was quite severe but will not leave him disfigured.

source: Payette Enterprise. (Payette, Canyon Co., Idaho), 17 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

Payette Enterprise., April 17, 1919, Page 5

Fruitland Department

Mrs. R. G. Wilson
“As ‘Twas Told to Me”

Mr. A. W. Courtney’s father who just arrived from California with his wife two weeks ago died Thursday at 5 o’clock of influenza. Mr. Courtney was 72 years of age. He has been ill for several months and came here hoping the climate would improve his health.

Mrs. Mary Deal has been sick with tonsillitis the past week. She is improving and expects to be back at school this week. Mrs. Grant Fisher has been teaching in her place.
— —

Little Willow

Quite a number of the valley residents have been on the sick list recently.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Filer Record., April 17, 1919, Page 1


Idaho State News

Dr. Ernest E. Laubaugh, appointed state bacteriologist by J. K. White, commissioner of public welfare, has wired his acceptance from Camp Stuart, Va., where he is stationed with an army medical corps, with which he is serving as captain.

The 16-year-old daughter of D. B. Morrison of Caldwell was taken to Boise to receive the pasteur treatment to prevent hydrophobia. She was bitten by a pet black Spitz dog which acted queerly although it showed few of the symptoms of rabies.

source: The Filer Record. (Filer, Idaho), 17 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Filer Record., April 17, 1919, Page 4

Rural High School Notes

Arranged By – Mary Otto, Ralph Beer, Miss Gourley

Lillian Graybill is teaching in the grade school this week. She is taking the place of her sister who is ill with the flu.

Only four weeks of school left and it finds everyone using renewed effort to meet the coming crisis.

(ibid, page 4)
— — — —

The Filer Record., April 17, 1919, Page 5

Local News Notes

Mrs. O. L. Dudley is recovering from a severe case of the flu.

The war is over, but don’t forget thrift. Plant that little garden plot. Snyder Hardware will furnish the seed. Adv.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — —

The Filer Record., April 17, 1919, Page 7

Dog Teams Saved Many Lives

Word has recently been received of the heroic efforts made during the recent months to check the influenza epidemic in Yukon territory, where remote communities faced grave danger because of limited medical and nursing supplies. To meet the emergency, Indian runners with dog teams were dispatched from Dawson with anti-influenza serum and sent across the snow as far north as Fort McPherson, near the mouth of the Mackenzie river, making the round trip of 1,000 miles in a little less than two months, which is a fair performance in mid-winter. The journey included crossing the Rocky mountains.

(ibid, page 7)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Nezperce Herald., April 17, 1919, Page 1


Local News

Oscar Shafer, the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Shafer, of the Alpine section, was reported quite low this morning after a protracted illness, but is said to be better this afternoon.

Word was received here this morning that E. D. Turner, a well known and highly esteemed citizen of the Mohler section, had suffered a stroke of paralysis.

source: The Nezperce Herald. (Nezperce, Idaho), 17 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Nezperce Herald., April 17, 1919, Page 5

Russell News

Miss Sophia Gertji, who has been attending high school in Orofino, is home on account of her brother Charley’s illness. We are clad to report that he is on the road to recovery, and has had a trained nurse from Lewiston to take charge of the case the last few days.

C. F. Newkirk is on the sick list, but at the last report was improving.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — —

The Nezperce Herald., April 17, 1919, Page 7

Local and Personal News Notes

Gay Miller returned Saturday evening from the White hospital at Lewiston, where he had been convalescing after a siege of influenza. He is well on the way to complete recovery.

County Agent Wade was on the sick list the first of the week, but recovered sufficiently to participate in the Mohler community meeting program.

Mrs. E. S. Peterson accompanied Miss Loda Johnstone to Lewiston Monday, where the latter is under the care of a physician. Mrs. Peterson returned home Tuesday evening.

Dodge Brothers touring car for sale. Owner was a flu victim. You can save money on this car. Curtis J. Miller.

(ibid, page 7)
— — — —

The Nezperce Herald., April 17, 1919, Page 8

Lyceum Number Tonight

Sergeant Boyle will deliver his famous war lecture at the Community church to-night, and it is desired by the Lyceum management that all returned soldiers be present in uniform. They will have free admission.

On Friday evening the Cambridge Players will also appear at the same place, and those who go out to hear them are assured of fine entertainment. These will conclude the current season’s lyceum course here; they being fill-in dates to make up for those cancelled because of the influenza epidemic.

(ibid, page 8)
— — — — — — — — — —

Part of Fenn Ranger Station, Fenn, Idaho


Photo courtesy: the Mike Fritz Collection, History of Idaho
— — — — — — — — — —

April 18

The Rathdrum Tribune., April 18, 1919, Page 2


[Local News]

Arthur Duty, who was recovering from injuries received in a sawmill at Bayview, was taken ill with influenza and died in a Spokane hospital Tuesday. He leaves three small children at Bayview, according to a Spokane paper.
— —

School Notes

Last Friday night the Freshmen gave the rest of the student body a party in the gym. It was certainly enjoyed by all, as it was the first for a long while. Some remarked that they hadn’t been to a party so long that they didn’t know how to act.

source: The Rathdrum Tribune. (Rathdrum, Idaho), 18 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — — — — — — — —

The Kendrick Gazette. April 18, 1919, Page 1


New Doctor For Kendrick

Dr. F. H. Thurston has established his office here and will practice medicine in Kendrick and vicinity. He has been practicing medicine in Troy for the past six months or more and was the only doctor there during the flu epidemic. He had marked success in caring for flu patients, not having lost a single case that was under his direct supervision.

Dr. Thurston received his medical education in California. He has practiced medicine in Idaho for nearly three years. Before going to Troy he was house physician at the St. Anthony Hospital, located in Pocatello, where he received some valuable experience.
— —

School Notes

In Miss Long’s room, Hazel Stanton and Wilson rogers returned to school after absences on account of illness.

The senior class will be exempted from the semester examinations at the end of the year if they maintain a high standard of work.

The biology class is going to take up the study of bacteriology in the near future.

source: The Kendrick Gazette. (Kendrick, Idaho), 18 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Kendrick Gazette. April 18, 1919, Page 2

Stony Point Items

Mrs. W. S. Cox is ill with the flu.

Mrs. Will Evans who has been at the hospital in Lewiston for several weeks returned home Saturday.
— —

Southwick Items

Mrs. Harry Wetmore has been on the sick list lately.

Patrons of the Southwick school are almost unable to tell their children from bacon after an especially windy day at school. Windy days turn the school house into a smoke house. Prof. Wilbur was compelled to dismiss school Thursday afternoon on account of the smoke.

The rural route mail carrier, Grant Bateman, has taken to his Ford once more, and the way he travels isn’t slow.

(ibid, page 2)
— — — —

The Kendrick Gazette. April 18, 1919, Page 4

War Dead 17,500,000 Says British Paper

London. — A complete summary of the world war casualties compiled by the Manchester Guardian gives the total number of deaths at 17,500,000.

This number includes a mortality of 4,000,000 from pneumonia and influenza.

Allied losses are placed at 5,500,000, excluding a large number of French civilian dead.

Deaths suffered by the central powers are estimated at something over 2,900,000.

Italy’s losses were 300,000 from disease in the war zone, or three-fifths as many as were killed in action. Four million Armenians, Syrians, Greeks and Jews were massacred by the Turks.

Serbian civilians to the number of 1,000,000 died through massacre, hunger or disease. Germans are held responsible for deaths of 7,500 neutrals.

(ibid, page 4)
— — — —

The Kendrick Gazette. April 18, 1919, Page 8

Cream Ridge

The Cream Ridge school will close Friday April 18th and the teachers, Mrs. Freeman, will return to her home in Lewiston.
— —


(ibid, page 8)
— — — — — — — — — —


Serbian soldiers are treated for influenza on February 5, 1919, in Rotterdam, Netherlands, at the auxiliary hospital for Serbians and Portuguese. The auxiliary hospital was located in Schoonderloostraat, the building of the Society of St. Aloysius. In the center is Captain Dragoljub N. Đurković with a member of the medical staff. CC BY-SA H.A. van Oudgaarden, courtesy of Piet van Bentum

source: Alan Taylor April 10, 2018 “30 Photos of the 1918 Flu Pandemic” The Atlantic
— — — — — — — — — —

The Oakley Herald. April 18, 1919, Page 1



Mrs. Emma Clayton was sick last week.
— —

Locals and Personals

Mrs. Wilford DeLaMare has been ill this week.

The infant child of John smith, at Marion, as been seriously ill.

source: The Oakley Herald. (Oakley, Idaho), 18 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Oakley Herald. April 18, 1919, Page 2

19190418OH2“Aspirin” Was Talcum Powder
Heavy Sentence Imposed on Manufacturer of Tablets

(Associated Press Dispatch)

New York, December 31. — Accused of having manufactured and sold to influenza suffers thousands of boxes of aspirin tablets, principally composed of talcum powder, Joseph M. Turkey, head of the Verandah Chemical company, of Brooklyn, was found guilty yesterday of violation of the sanitary code and sentenced to three years in prison with a fine of $500. The sentence was the most severe ever imposed in the country for such an offense.

(Ad for Bayer Aspirin)

(ibid, page 2)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Idaho Recorder. April 18, 1919, Page 1


County School Notes

The school at Big Creek, Miss Charlotte Arkwright, teacher, closed April 11, after a very satisfactory term.

The school at Patterson creek with Miss Ellen Campbell as teacher, closed its term April 11, with a dance and supper, proceeds from which is to be used in purchasing a piano for the school.
— —

Robert B. Rees

Hon. John E. Rees has been advised of the death at Soda Springs, Idaho, of his brother, Robert B. Rees, on the 12th of April. Mr. Rees was about 46 years of age. He was born in Illinois but lived nearly all his life in Idaho and Montana. He leaves his widow and two sons.

source: The Idaho Recorder. (Salmon City, Idaho), 18 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Idaho Recorder. April 18, 1919, Page 5

Idaho State News

That Idaho Falls is to have a large and thoroughly modern hospital, with ample room for all who come from this section, is now an assured fact.

The Pocatello canteen unit of the Red Cross served 4000 soldiers and sailors during the month of March, according to a report issued by the chairman of the canteen. Home-made doughnuts to the number of 12,000 were served and 500 gallons of coffee were consumed by the men passing through the city.

(ibid, page 5)
— — — —

The Idaho Recorder. April 18, 1919, Page 7

Salmon Locals

Roy B. Herndon went out to Armstead by Tuesday’s train to meet Mrs. Herndon and their little daughter, a recent hospital patient at Dillon. The family will soon all be gathered at May again.

(ibid, page 7)
— — — —

The Idaho Recorder. April 18, 1919, Page 10


Miss Margaret Kirkham is nursing at the Halstead home.

(ibid, page 10)
— — — — — — — — — —

The Caldwell Tribune. April 18, 1919, Page 1


Arena News

Miss Trotter was on the sick list Saturday.

Mrs. Elza Pullium was quite ill Sunday and Monday.

T. J. Cope went to Parma last Tuesday to consult a physician. He has not been well for some time.
— —


Middleton is to have three gala days May 1st, 2nd and 3rd, when all the local organizations will stage a health crusader movement. On the first day there will be a parade. During the three days exhibits will be shown in one of the churches. Each evening an entertainment will be held at the hall. A lecture and a play will be the principal part of the program. A small charge will be taken at the evening entertainment to defray the expense and the premiums.

source: The Caldwell Tribune. (Caldwell, Idaho), 18 April 1919. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress.
— — — —

The Caldwell Tribune. April 18, 1919, Page 7

Items of Interest From Surrounding Territory


A large per cent of the children of Greenleaf have been sick the past few days with an epidemic similar to influenza.

Mrs. Wade Tucker is spending a few days in Upper Deer Flat caring for her sister-in-law, Mrs. Will Selby, who is quite sick with pneumonia.

Miss Anna Spann, who had a severe attack of influenza, is reported better.

The funeral of Mrs. Henry Jones of Notus was held at the church Tuesday afternoon. Mrs. Jones will be remembered as Miss May Pearson, daughter of Rev. and Mrs. Ezra Pearson. She died of pneumonia following an attack of influenza. She leaves a husband and two small children, besides her father, mother, sister and brothers. We, as a community extend our heartfelt sympathy to those who mourn her departure.

Ila Tozier is on the sick list.

Miss Dilla Tucker, who has been teaching near Melba, returned home last week, as her school closed Friday.

Midway News

Miss Mary Becker, who is teaching at Midvale, spent several days last week with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Becker, as she was on the sick list. She returned to her school Sunday.

Mary Catherine, the small daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Robinson, was very sick a few days last week, but is about well at this time.

The condition of Mrs. David Strand remains about the same.


L. C. Parker of Boise, in the interests of the anti-tuberculosis movement, showed stereopticon pictures and gave an address in Braggs’ hall Monday evening.

Marble Front

Earle Bray, who has been very ill for some time, is reported no better.

Brier Rose

Mr. and Mrs. Armour left for Portland on Saturday for the benefit of Mr. Armour’s health.

Mr. Thomas Bassett was quite ill with the grippe last week at the W. A. Douglass home.

Helen McCarthey and the little Madsen girl are entertaining the mumps this week.

(ibid, page 7)
— — — —

The Caldwell Tribune. April 18, 1919, Page 9

Our 7th Grade Reporter

If the milk dealers are so perfectly clean and obeying the law of the health board up to the letter I should like to know why you can always get a little dirt in the bottom of your glass. Ma used to tell me that dirt fell off the cow’s tits and that there was no earthly way to keep it out, but where we are making so much fuss about cleanness and meanness, it does look like a feller ort to be able to purchase a five–cent glass of milk without having to come face to face with a ring of dirt over half way around his glass.

(ibid, page 9)
— — — —

The Caldwell Tribune. April 18, 1919, Page 10

Local and Personal

H. R. Cleaver was taken quite sick this week. He has the flu but in a mild form.

James Harris has returned to McCall after spending some time at Caldwell. Mrs. Harris and son, Tom, and still in Portland, where Tom was taken for medical attention. He is getting along nicely.
— —

Lake Lowell

W. Spears’ baby has been sick the past week. Dr. Young is attending it.

Louise and Ethel Wright are ill with the influenza.

Dr. Farrar was called to the Coon home Monday, their baby still being quite ill with pneumonia.
— —

Finney Hall

Pearl Grieve went to Greenleaf Tuesday to attend the funeral of Mrs. Jones, daughter of the Rev. M. Pearson.

Helen Houston has fallen a victim to the mumps. She is getting along nicely.
— —

Red Cross Notes

The hearty thanks of the Red Cross are extended to the high school girls who are helping knit. Their help is very much appreciated.

(ibid, page 10)
— — — —


(ibid, page 4)

Further Reading

Yukon and the flu epidemic of 1918 Part 1

by Michael Gates Feb 21, 2014

By 1914, the population of post-gold-rush Yukon had dwindled to a few thousand. News of the war overseas siphoned off hundreds of healthy Yukon men who volunteered for service. As the war progressed, the federal government tightened the purse strings and slashed the civil service.

In October 1918, as the war was winding down, the Princess Sophia, a coastal passenger ship, sank not far from Skagway, taking hundreds of Yukon citizens down with her. How could things be any worse for this northern outpost of civilization?

Word filtered into the Yukon of a terrible plague spreading around the world like wildfire. It was called “Spanish Influenza,” because Spain, being a neutral country not cloaked by wartime censorship, openly reported on a spreading epidemic. Combatants on both sides of the trenches censored news about the terrible plague that was sweeping the battlefields, laying low reserve troops and crippling the civilian population. It first appeared in early September; by November, reports of the epidemic were coming in from all over the world.

Symptoms resembled the common flu, but varied in intensity. They included headaches, loss of energy, coughing, chills and extreme fever. The deadly illness took its victims in two different ways. The first occurred within the first two days, when patients would literally drown in their own blood. This cause of death was the prevalent source of mortality among the military. The second, which afflicted the civilian population, occurred after a week, when patients, apparently recovering from the influenza, developed a secondary infection and died of pneumonia.

In normal seasonal influenza, those under five years of age and those over 65 are the hardest hit. In this epidemic, the worst hit were the young and healthy – those between 20 years and 50 years of age. In the worst cases the afflicted might feel healthy in the morning and be dead by day’s end. Lungs would become congested, as victims hemorrhaged. Many turned dark blue of asphyxia before dying. For that reason, some observers likened it to or even confused it with the Black Death of the Middle Ages.

Healthy-looking people could be infected – and contagious – so avoiding the sick was no guarantee of avoiding infection. It might start with one or two cases, but in the crowded military bases, where soldiers were being trained, or prepared to ship out, it spread like wildfire. Two deaths became 20, followed by 100, followed by hundreds, then thousands.

City after city became overburdened with the sick and dying as the plague spread. Within six months as many as 50 million succumbed to the disease worldwide. In America, newspapers reported that influenza took twice as many lives as the war did.

People were becoming sick and dying faster than the system could handle. Overworked doctors and nurses also became sick and many died from the dreaded virus. The bodies piled high as the death toll mounted. Undertakers were swamped. Coffin-makers couldn’t keep up. Gravediggers were becoming too sick to bury the dead.

In New York City, a steam shovel was used to excavate trenches into which to pile the thousands of bodies that were piling up. Some cities were close to social collapse because of influenza.

Authorities feared that the truth of the epidemic would only foster panic during the state of war. Officials lied to the public about the severity of the outbreak, but the growing piles of corpses told the story and made the public distrust official assurances. Panic widened as the “Spanish Influenza” spread its deadly tentacles around the world.

Calls for volunteers fell upon deaf ears because people feared contagion. Those who did offer to help often fled from the awful sight (and smell) of the dead and dying. No one knew what caused it. No one could prevent it. No one knew how to treat it.

“The epidemic began in Europe,” stated the British Columbia Board of Health, “…and has crossed the Atlantic. It is very prevalent in Eastern cities and we may expect it in the West.” To prevent the spread, they advised isolation, covering coughs, the three C’s (clean mouth, clean skin and clean clothes), good ventilation, washing of hands, and using only eating utensils that had been washed.

Those who were still healthy, and those who attended to the sick, covered their mouths and noses with gauze or cloth masks, but they were of no value in preventing the spread of the disease.

Some authorities spread misinformation. In Philadelphia, for example, where a corrupt administration got much of its financial backing from the saloon-keepers, bars and saloons remained open throughout the epidemic, and officials recommended alcohol as a cure or preventative for the dreaded flu.

With growing apprehension Yukon citizens read letters telling of the sick and dying Outside, and perused the newspapers with dread the autumn of 1918. Were they, too, to be stricken by the deadly virus? Seattle fell to the flu in October. Mid month, 75 residents had died; by the end of the month, 350 had succumbed.

Alaska was not spared either. Juneau reported three cases at the end of October. There were eight cases on December 14 and over 100 a week later.

The remote city of Nome was hit by the scourge, despite quarantine of all passengers arriving by boat. There were no cases October 22, but by November 8, there were more than 300. The December 23 issue of The Dawson Daily News reported that there had been 1,000 deaths in the Nome area. Even if this number was exaggerated, it must have terrified Yukon.

Fairbanks placed sentries on all the trails into town and imposed a five-day quarantine, but the dreaded flu still appeared. Influenza knew no class boundaries; anyone could be stricken regardless of race, gender or social class, although some groups were hit more deeply than others.

Native communities throughout Alaska were decimated. In one settlement, only a half dozen survived. In another community, 22 of 24 adults had perished, leaving 16 orphans. Of 10 villages visited by one doctor, three were wiped out entirely, while the other settlements suffered 85 per cent mortality. Children whose parents had died then starved or froze to death.

The Dawson Daily News and Whitehorse Star reported the mounting death toll from around the world. Yukon citizens waited with uneasiness. They could feel the circle of death closing in from all directions.

from: Yukon News
— — — — — — — — — —

Indian Summer Fishing Village, Yukon River

by Cantwell, J. C. (1904) Report of the Operations of the U. S. Revenue Steamer Ninivak on the Yukon River Station, Alaska, 1899-1901, Washington, DC: Government Printing Office

During the summer of 1900 many of these villages were almost depopulated by the ravages of sickness and starvation.

source: Wikimedia
— — — — — — — — — —

Yukon and the flu epidemic of 1918 Part 2

by Michael Gates Feb 28, 2014

The Spanish Influenza epidemic of 1918 broke out on the eastern American seaboard in early September. The deadly virus spread rapidly and within weeks, reports from various cities and military camps confirmed the news that this epidemic was highly contagious and killing people in large numbers.

The residents of the Yukon learned about this lethal scourge from reports in newspapers, and letters sent from friends and loved ones Outside. By November, the Dawson Daily News issued reports of influenza cutting a swath around the world. Dr. Alfred Thompson, Yukon’s member of Parliament, confirmed the dire situation in a letter he wrote to one of his colleagues in Dawson City. Members of his family had also been stricken.

The Yukon took action November 9, when R. B. Knight, acting gold commissioner, issued a notice to the assistant medical health officer for Whitehorse, Dr. W.B. Clarke, to take all necessary steps to prevent the spread of influenza. Dr. Clarke was in close communication with Dr. Gable, the medical health officer in Skagway, where all incoming passengers were placed in quarantine for five days. No cases had been reported so far.

Fearing the worst, the government started making preparations. Thinking that contagion could be spread by handling incoming mail, Dr. Gable at Skagway had all mail from Juneau and Haines fumigated. Outside mail, which took more than five days in transit, was not considered to be a health risk.

If the epidemic reached the Yukon, would the territory be prepared for the onslaught? In Dawson, Territorial Secretary J. Maltby asked Mother Superior Mary Mark what the capacity of St. Mary’s Hospital was if they had to deal with an outbreak in the gold rush capital. Ninety beds, and eight staff, was her reply.

Maltby also contacted local businesses and determined that 15 additional beds, 15 mattresses and 25 sets of blankets were available if needed. With an estimated 10 per cent of the population likely to be stricken with the flu, would these be enough?

Dawson City continued to function normally. Christmas was enjoyed without the spectre of death, and the arrival of the New Year was celebrated with the annual masque ball at the Arctic Brotherhood Hall on New Year’s Eve.

Early in the New Year, 1919, word was received that the “Copper River Indians” were suffering from influenza. Instructions were sent out to discourage any contact with them that winter. When a report reached authorities that a party of Chilkat Tlingit from Haines had set out to visit Champagne, the Mounted Police were sent to intercept them. A temporary quarantine station was set up in the village until January 17. Travelers were also intercepted at the town of Forty Mile, where only the mail carrier was allowed to proceed into the Yukon.

Advice from Ottawa was confusing regarding a serum treatment for influenza. While stating that there was no serum to treat the illness, an unproven serum developed in Kingston was sent to the Yukon as a precautionary measure. At the end of January, the annual winter patrol to Fort McPherson carried 100 doses of the serum, wrapped in buffalo robes with a small charcoal foot warmer to prevent the serum from freezing.

Pressure mounted to remove the quarantine in Skagway, which occurred February 22, but a month later, with an outbreak of 50 cases in the coastal Alaskan port, the incoming train was intercepted by the local Mounted Police, and a temporary quarantine was established in Carcross for the thirty incoming passengers. The line of defense was drawing closer and closer to Whitehorse.

This temporary Carcross quarantine station proved inadequate and inconvenient; requests were put forward to move the quarantine station to Whitehorse. Meanwhile, Alaska Governor Riggs imposed a five-day quarantine on all outgoing and incoming traffic at Skagway. Despite large alarmist headlines on the front page of the Dawson Daily News March 21, there was not one actual case of influenza in the territory. Dr. Clarke, who was reported to have been stricken, had only suffered from a minor cold. Three people in Skagway, however, died from the deadly virus.

Finally, inbound passengers were allowed into Whitehorse for their quarantine period. On April 18, the quarantine was lifted in Skagway, and Whitehorse followed on May 2. During the critical period, from November 1918 to May 1919, not one case of influenza was reported anywhere in the Yukon. By the spring of 1919, the virulent virus that had swept the globe had mutated and lost its potency. The Yukon seemed to be spared.

Before freeze-up each autumn, when river transportation came to an end, Dawson City stockpiled essential supplies in large warehouses in sufficient quantities to last through the winter. During the height of the epidemic, the gold rush town was secure in its isolation. With only one means of access, via rail to Whitehorse, and then five days by sleigh over the snow-covered winter trail to Dawson, it was possible to control the spread of infection in the territory.

That, combined with the coordinated efforts of the administration during this period, meant that the Yukon was one of the few jurisdictions on the planet, during the critical six months, that was not ravaged by the pandemic.

Once the quarantine was lifted, however, influenza made a quick arrival in the territory. There were cases reported at Carmacks on the Whitehorse-Dawson Trail, and Mr. and Mrs Alguire, the proprietors of the Nordenskjold Roadhouse, came to the hospital in Whitehorse for treatment. Local resident Mrs. Jack Oliver was so ill that she too had to be moved to the hospital, and Charley Baxter, the big game outfitter and the hunting party he was guiding had to remain at Bear Creek, en route to Kluane Lake, for several days until they recovered from a bout of the flu.

The hardest hit, however, was the First Nation population. Dr. Clarke rushed to Champagne on May 25 to deal with an outbreak; 37 natives were afflicted. He sent for a nurse and a cook to tend to the sick. By the time they arrived, there were 48 stricken, and the first death. Fifteen cases were reported at nearby Mendenhall, and another three at Canyon Creek. According to the Anglican Church newsletter Northern Lights, there were eventually11 victims at Champagne.

Almost a year later, influenza struck again. Residents from the native community at Carcross fell sick while working in Skagway. They were sent home before they had recovered, and the entire village was infected, save one individual, and four died, including Kate Carmack. The nearby residential school was also afflicted and one student succumbed to pneumonia caused by influenza.

After the post gold rush depopulation, the wartime exodus of men, federal government spending cuts and reduction of the civil service and the tragic loss of so many citizens with the sinking of the Princess Sophia, the Yukon was spared, almost, a final indignity – the deadly influenza epidemic of 1918.

from: Yukon News

Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 1)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 2)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 3)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 4)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 5)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 6)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 7)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 8)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 9)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 10)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 11)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 12)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 13)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 14)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 15)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 16)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 17)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 18)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 19)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 20)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 21)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 22)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 23)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 24)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 25)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 26)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 27)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 28)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 29)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 30)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 31)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 32)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 33)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 34)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 35)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 36)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 37)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 38)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 39)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 40)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 41)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 42)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 43)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 44)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 45)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 46)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 47)
Link to Idaho 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic (Part 48)